Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Dog, if you're going to show off an AT coin make it something nice

Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
"It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson

Comments

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Wow,I,ve seen slabbed coins that didnt look THAT nice.You ATed that one?
    Bet PCGS would slab it too.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, that's pretty allright! image
    OK, how's this one?
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    You guys are getting good at this!
    USAF VET. 1964 -1968
    Proud of America!

I Have NO PCGS Registry Sets!
  • Options
    Yup.Those techniques take years of...drinking.image
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Here's one for you:

One of these coins came back from ANACS with an MS65FBL designation, 2 were sent back with a Net MS60 with the comment of Artificially toned. Which is which you your opinion?

• Options
    Lets try this again:

One of these coins came back from ANACS with an MS65FBL designation, 2 were sent back with a Net MS60 with the comment of Artificially toned. Which is which you your opinion?

• Options
    Is it here?

If not, can someone help me with loading a pic on here - it's actually pretty interesting!
  • Options
    Ah - got it finally! Anyway, the top obverse goes with the bottom reverse and the coins are numbered 1,2,3 from left to right. What's everyone's opinion?
  • Options
    Pics arent too clear.I see some toneing going on there.I,m sure they look much better up close and personal.
    Hard to pin point a grade but I,d say they,re BU......Did I win????????? image

Here my AT (Attractively Toned) Gallery.image

Text
  • Options
    You won!!! LOL

Actually they were all BU - MS64/65's. They all came from the same collection and were sold as a group to my dealer. In all there were about 15 coins that came from this group. The 51's that I got came out as follows:

#1 - Net MS60 Artificially Toned - ANACS
    #2 - MS65FBL
    $3 - Net MS60 Artificially Toned - ANACS

Bytheway - the dealer took the best of the lot and had them sent to PCGS, and two of them wound up in my registry set eventually - they're the 55P and 59P - the 55P has a beautiful deep russet tone on the obverse which is uniform through out the coin. The 59 looks more like an end roll tone - go figure!!!

Regards,

Frank
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Dog, that Peace dollar is a much better effort.

The question I have is, if you take an AT piece and let it age 10-20 years, will it develop additional natural toning? And, if so, what's the best environment to make it happen?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    I,ve wondered that too.Could some of those nice rainbow Morgans actually be once ATed but since it happened so long ago they are now considered `original` toneing?Not sure on that.Seems possible.

Sulphur in those cardboard holders or paper envelopes(manila folders) will promote toneing,along with
    an unstable enviroment(hot/cold,moist,dry)will always do the trick.It those instances it shouldnt take too long for toneing to happen.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    What Cam40 posted looks just like ½ of what you see on sleazeBay. image
    FC57Coins I would said AT on #1, ok on #2 and maybe on #3.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file