Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Wanted - Opinion on 1932-S Washington - Key Date

Put this up again to see if I can get more responses or people to put some posts to it..

I got this coin during ANA and wanted to get some opinions on its grade. your comments are appreciated. Thank you!

1932-S Obverse

1932-S Reverse
HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    No expert looks au to me. I think I remember reading something about weak strikes on that year thou. What does the slab it's in say?
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    MS62 due to the haze
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I'd spend the nominal fee to let NCS do their magic, and try a regrade. It looks like a super MS coin, but the toning is distracting. IMHO
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Scan looks like...a once MS coin that was cleaned afew too many times.If not for it being a KEY it looks like
    it would be returned in a BB.
    Maybe NCS could improve the appearance?
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    lol Don,you beat me to the NCS comment. hehe
  • Options
    WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    The coin is original and has not been cleaned, I can assure you that.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like it, but I don't love it.

Leave it alone, it's a keeper, as-is. A nice 32-S (one of my favorites).

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,878 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely MS, completely original, looks to have a medium thickness blue-grey haze patina. Attractive coin with a grade limiting milling mark in the hair. Good strike for a '32-S. MS64.image
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom-

What is a "milling mark?"
  • Options
    My PM doesn't work from home or I'd PM you this, but I wanted to mention to you that I have tried NCS, and they did a great job with a problem coin I submitted. If you have any questions, free free to email me at dheath@triad.rr.com and I'll share my experience.
  • Options
    Don,

Email sent!! Thanks for your comments.
  • Options
    Tom,

I swear you have the best eyes for a scan of anyone I've chatted with. I missed the mark until you said so. What do you make or the second T in states on the rev, and do you have a comment about the tail feathers. BTW - 64 sounds just right to me, because of what lies beneath.image
  • Options
    Don and TomB.. I didnt see it on the scan but your reference to the "mark" ion the second "T" is on the holder and not the coin. Good eyes. And I saw about the "milling mark", but didnt think it was distracting.
  • Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    It looks like it has areas with pvc residue? on the eye,hair, in front of the mouth, the eagles legs. I hope I am wrong and it is just toning. mike
  • Options
    Neither do I. The best I ever did with PCGS was a pair of 32-S MS63's, and I gotta tell you, I like your coin.image
  • Options
    Thanks Don... The more I look at it, the more I like it.
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The following assumes that the luster is amply evident underneath the various stages of toning which I find to be neutral in appearance as fairly splotchy but clear evidence of the coin's originality.......... I cannot tell for sure how stong the luster appears to be based on photos and scans. Personal inspection is needed.........

That obverse would have made 65 possibly even a 66 had it not been for that one big bag mark in the hair...........yeah what the heck is a milling mark? That is an awsome obverse!

The reverse looks more of a 63 to me.

Yes.........I give it a solid 64.

I say leave the coin alone! It is a keeper!

Your kid found this one?????image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    Milling marks are marks resulting from the reeds of one coin hitting and damaging the surface of another coin. They can leave a single sharp edged mark or, more commonly, a series of marks where one central mark is deeper than the rest. I guess it could also be termed reeding marks but I have never embraced that term.

The mark on the "T" on the reverse appeared to me to be garbage on the plastic while the horizontal line near the tail feathers looks like it might be raised if it's on the coin and then would be likely a die scratch.

I don't think the coin has any PVC on it at all, what may look like PVC is a protective medium depth layer of oxidation that probably takes on a light blue-grey hue at some angles and a more gold-yellow hue at others.

The coin is a peach.

• Options
    Oreville....No.. I actually found this one myself. I dont let him look at the $1,000 and up tables.. lol
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Well what is the grade on the holder?
  • Options
    Ah yes.......... reeding mark......my term.

That coin is definitely a keeper and yes I agree with Tom that it is a peach. It looks a lot better than the washed out quarter that is your icon.

Time to change icons! image
  • Options
    TomB:

You certainly know coins. You are 100% correct about the toning. It does appear to be a protective layer that becomes green and yellow when you hold it at a downward angle. I chuckled when I tested your exercise and it worked.

As for the line under the tail feathers... To be plain.. it looks like a gutter.. with the deeper part under the surface and the outer part of the line above it.

Thanks for calling it a peach.. It took me a long time to find a 32S that I liked and this one definitely felt right.
  • Options
    Oreville.. How can I make this coin my icon. When I registered, I just picked the only Washington I saw in the listings. I would love to replace it.
  • Options
    TomB: how would you rate my coin compared to this 32S up for auction on eBay..

Ebay
  • Options
    Whitewashqtr: I just point out problems. PCGS has that wahed out quarter in their library. Must be one of their rejects? I guess you have to ask them how to make your coin part of their library provided your coin is graded by PCGS. image

By the way, what is your coin graded? Also what generation holder?

I told you if you had patience you would find a nice quarter when you moaned after seeing my quarter.
  • Options
    Its in an MS64 PCGS holder. Its in a newer holder (the one with the bar code on it). I was told it went in for regrade and came out the same way. I might try to have it regraded.. Coins get looked at differently on different days.. you never know.. This is a solid 64.5, so it could go 5 on a really really good day. Or I just may wait until the set is pedigreed. Either way, I love the coin!!

Do you have your coin available to show me again?
  • Options
    Oh boy, the coin on ebay looks like a dog! As far as I'm concerned it has negative eye appeal with the dark, lusterless chestnut toning around the rims. However, the miriad of small marks around Washington's face make him look like he has pox! To me, the image looks like an MS62 obverse and an MS63 reverse. That coin will likely never be broken out of its holder as it would never again grade as high as the MS64 label it currently boasts. It's in a coffin.

I bet you were able to buy your coin for somewhat less than that one but that is purely a guess.

• Options
    I call that a Ethel Merman MS-64 on ebay. image
  • Options
    actually.. you cant find a decent 32s for under $1400..so no.. I paid more..but I got much more coin. I do think its a dog on eBay.. I think I can crack mine and try for a 65. Dont think it would come back worse than a 64. I believe its solid for the grade and with a ltlle luck...

• Options
    Whitewashqtr: The reverse and the reeding mark on the obverse will keep it out a of 65. Let someone else dream that possibility when they buy it for top $$ from you someday.

Better to have that coin be PQ for the grade than be crippled (Tom uses coffin) in a 65 holder.
  • Options
    Yea.. I may be dreaming.. but other than those 2 things.. it is truly PQ and 65's arent perfect ya know. The high points around the facial area are mark free and most of the fields are free as well. We'll see one day.
  • Options
  • Options
    I think I asked you how much you wanted for it. I like that coin. Looked like a similar one put on eBay.. but that is a 32s in a green holder.. and also grades 63.

Do you want to sell that coin?

• Options
    whitewashqtr: LOL. You asked me that already. Here is the old thread on that. Also you can see Tom's MS-65 1932 quarter on that thread too.

Old message thread

In that thread you asked the same exact question and my response was:

whitewashqtr: No. But they are around. Just keep looking. Just don't jump at the first one you see. Coins like these will go for a premium. Be prepared to pay, as I did.

• Options
    I know I asked already.. cant I ask again...lol. I like Tom's 32 in MS65.. Great reverse!!!
  • Options
    whitewashqtr: My average holding term is 20 years plus. Check back with me in 2022 on that quarter. It will still be in that PCGS holder too. There will be a possibility that the holder might be worth more than the coin by then. image

By then, I suspect, you will own a roll of those 1932-D's. image

• Options
    So you just bought that coin, this year? It looks pristine. Nothing like examining it under your own eye. But it looks very nice. Is it accurately graded?

and..I dont think there would be any rolls left as it is today, no less 2022.

• Options
    We have a nice year set here of '32-P, D and S!image

You are correct about the selling prices of the '32-S quarters in MS64; for some reason when I wrote that I was thinking of the MS63 price. Perhaps because I had been reviewing the ebay coin and was thinking of the split grade MS62/63 that it appears to be. Sorry.

• Options
    I want to thank everyone for their comments. It is always nice to hear when comeone genuinely likes your coin(s). If someone doesnt like something, they sure tell you on the forums, so I really appreciate everyones comments, for better or worse.

I also posted this thread in order to help people in their grading efforts and to hear the comments of others and of course to show off my coin!!

I think I will leave it in its holder and admire the toning. Some people think it detracts.. I think it adds character.

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    ms-63
  • Options
    ttt
  • Options
    Whitewashqtr: It is hard to evaluate toning from a photo or a scan. It appears to be neutral to me. Not a positive or a negative. I try to imagine the eye appeal of the coin without the toning and then with the toning and if they come up the same way then the toning is neutral to me.

If you would like I can show you an example of what I consider positive toning just to compare notes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file