Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

White area on a copper coin?

PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
I was looking for a indian cent and this one looks pretty nice it's in a pcgs 64rb holder but it looks like there is something white on the neck or is it the picture/slab?

Comments

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Huh,Looks like body-bag material to me.Must not be anything otherwise it woulda been BBed.
    Maybe thats not on the coin.
    Also ,64 seems awful generous for that IH.
  • Options
    Thanks Cam40 image
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Hey ,No prob.Just dont take my words for gospel.I,m learning all the time.In other words,I,m wrong alot.image
  • Options
    Looks like a plastic holder mark. I know, I have a few on some of my coin holders.

Robert
    You want fries with that?
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Where is the link? I have seen old oils or dirt that get on a copper coin years and years ago cause this. The rest of the coin will tome red or orange or some other color but the area protected by the oil will stay the original color and in contrast to the toned red/oragne appears white. I can't see the coin so I don't know if this is the case.
  • Options
    nm
  • Options
    I think somebody took a divot out of the plastic holder. 64RB is the proper grade for the obverse, but we don't know about the reverse. Buy a 65RD, you will get a nicer coin for about $300 - $400 depending on the quality.
  • Options
    The reverse is great. I bought it for $40. I hope it's just the holder.
    Thanks for the opinions.
  • Options
    That is a good price. A PQ version would retail for about $80.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file