Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I found my exclusive E-bay seller...

Anyone know BestCrystal? I'm dumping some junk silver and low grade stuff and looking at getting into more expensive items. I think I'm done looking for the best deal on ebay - because now that I've seen good quality stuff (bought sight-seen at my local dealer) i realize that most of the deals I've gotten on e-bay are low-grade cr*p. I bought a 35 Peace from him for ms63 money and felt like I was stealing it from him. When I compare it to the garbage I've gotten from e-bay I doubt any of the others are even UNC.

Anyway, check this guy out (and his auctions) - this guy sounds like he's seen a few coins in his day, and apparently as honest as the day is long (I'm trying to figure out if that's his angle). For god sakes this guy's got so much credibility that people bid a grade higher than what he flat out says it is! His auctions get hit like crazy too. Anyone know this guy?

Auction
1 Tassa-slap
2 Cam-Slams!
1 Russ POTD!

Comments

• Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    BestCrystal is Paul Simms Coins, one of the biggest sellers of whizzed, sliders and cleaned coins. I know because years ago I got stuck with sime of his junk. I am sure other board members will add to my comments.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Does this 1833 half look nicely lustrous, uncleaned and original?
    The price is good but I don't know much about these.

• Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    cool, thanks for the info and warnings (you too dl).
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭
    BestCrystal is Paul Simms Coins, one of the biggest sellers of whizzed, sliders and cleaned coins. I know because years ago I got stuck with sime of his junk. I am sure other board members will add to my comments.

You are not alone GAT. I had the pleasure of finding out some purchases from this dealer were not what they were supposed to be.
    I bought a whole set of CHOICE BU Franklins. The 58 was a proof coin. And that was one of the nicer surprises.
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. This is a wakeup call.

Robert
    You want fries with that?
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    Baccaruda

Before you start spending large sums for coins from Best Crystal I suggest you start a new thread, titled, Paul Simms? That will really get everyones attention and you will get a ear full. You will find he's one of the largest direct mail sellers in the country selling junk.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    Don't buy anything from Paul Sims unless it's already in a slab. Otherwise, look for it to be cleaned, whizzed, or both and probably overgraded. I have found some bargains, though, in his auctions of PCGS slabbed coins.image
  • Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    that's funny -

just the night before seeing his auctions i was looking at Paul Sims' sales ad in Coin World. His prices seemed reasonable. and md - i was specifically looking at that franklin set he continually offers. $10 per coin seemed pretty cheap for BU franklins, but i was sure i'd get what i paid for (less actually).

i thought some of his ebay coins were pretty nice - especially that 1927-s mercury. I also noticed that his slabbed coins cost more than other ebay sellers - which made me second-guess his low priced raw coins.

well you guys would definitely know better than me, so thanks for the heads-up.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    Pauls Sims as Bestcrystal and Paul Sims in Coinworld is not exectly the same. It is (or was) his company but he is certainly not filling every Coinworld order or doing all the mass buying. I have purchased from him on e-bay as Bestcrystal and have had nothing but excellent experiences. I did return a couple coins and he even returned my postage. The last coin I purchased was an Unc 1901 Morgan. His description was honest and accurate. He opened this coin at $200 ( a coin with a grey sheet bid of $1250), and said he was taking a chance he could lose money. His auctions do usually close higher that expected and I'm sure he figured he do reasonably well on this coin. I thank everyone for ignoring this coin and I received a beautiful Unc 1901 for under $300. He immediately e-mailed me and offered $100 for me NOT to buy this coin, I of course said "send the coin". Many of you would have shilled or ended auction early before selling a $1200 coin for $300. He stood by his word and sent the coin, on approval. So I'm not sticking up for Paul Sims mail order, its large volume probably a rip off like the rest. Paul Sims e-bay is a different story. I should probably keep my mouth shut to keep you guys from some real bargains but the guys been good to me and you should know this.
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    I hope the auctions are better than the mail order flyers I have half a draw fill of sorry not in stock slip from them. they are almost as bad a littleton.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file