Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone tried using the machine at a jewelry store?

I don't know what it is called but there is a machine that the jewelers use that has a "harmless" liquid in it that cleans gold, silver, etc. I was wondering if anyone here has attempted an experiment with that device.

Comments

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    Sonic cleaner? Uses sound waves to shake off crustly dirt from jewelry while submersed in Jeweluster.

Jewelers spray? Device used to spray cleaning solution on jewelry at high pressure removing crusty dirt and grime.

The Sonic cleaner is not so good for coins, while I've been told the spray works wonders on removing crust from UNC coins without damaging the coin.

TRUTH
  • Options
    Thanks Truth. I guess I was thinking of the sonic cleaner. I don't have any coins that I would like to clean but I see all of the conversations about cleaning without mention of the sonic cleaner. Thanks again, Ray
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    I used a small home unit with ISO90% and suspended the coin by a string in it for two days. I took the grunge off the piece and didn't give it that cleaned look. It was a 1$ gold piece in AU and had lot of stuff in the denticals(still had lots of luster around the rim). I was worried about damage if it fell to the bottom, so special care was taken, In my case it worked and I'll do it again for certain pieces with that certain grime. DO Not use jewelry cleaner.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭

<< <i>It was a 1$ gold piece in AU and had lot of stuff in the denticals >>

Would you happen to have any before and after pictures? I remember using a sonic cleaner years ago in an art class making jewelry, but never thought about it for crusty coins.
    Mark
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the last few years soaking and ultrasound is used to make R/B copper more RED for slabbing. K

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file