Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

russ how would you grade this kennedy?

darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
I forgot I had this coin until a while back when someone started a thread about these 1982 with no FG. mike image
    obverse
      reverse

Comments

• Options
        GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭
        bump
        imageimage

• Options
        BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
        Hey Russ , answer the man , we all want to know. Bearimage
        There once was a place called
        Camelotimage
      • Options
        RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
        Darktone,

I'm not a business strike person, so I never seem to get these right - hell, half the time I don't get the proofs right! But, looking at it I'd toss out a guess of MS66. Strike seems a bit weak, there's a small nick in his cheek and minor nicks in the "Y" and the "8". The fields seem very nice, and the reverse looks pretty good. Who knows, maybe 67 on the right day if it still has a lot of luster.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
        BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
        Thank you Russ. Bearimage
        There once was a place called
        Camelotimage
      • Options
        I know I wasn't asked, but I'll throw in my two cents. The strike on the coin is going to look a little weaker then usual because of the heavy die polishing that abraided away the designers initials. This variety is also recognized for the clash marks on both sides as well as heavy die scratches on the reverse. From what I can tell by the photos it is a very nice example and probably a MS66 with a good possibility for a MS67 except for the mark on the cheek, but like Russ said on a good day, maybe so. BOB
      • Options
        Thanks guys it really looks like a nice coin I will send it to PCGS next submission. What's the value of this coin in ms66 and ms67? mikeimage
      • Options
        Darktone,
        I do not know if PCGS will attribute the coin or not. I recently saw one on Ebay that was a MS66, but was not attributed and the coin did not sell for the $50 starting bid. If the coin is attributed then you should be able to get at least that for it. I know I would pay the $50 for it. If your lucky enough to get a MS67 with the attribution I would pay you $250 for it. Let us know what comes of the submission if you decide to send it. BOB
      • Options
        braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
        I like this one in a PCGS MS67 holder. Great shield and the strike works, considering the year. I'd be surprised if it graded out less.
        The shot 68 is out though because of that center portrait tick (as others have pointed out).

peacockcoins

• Options
        I was wondering if PCGS would attribute this variety. Does NGC attribute this variety? I would be very happy if this gets graded a 67! I remember buying this coin out of one of the coin newspapers when these first were discovered for about $10 and I think you could buy three for $25. I sure wish I would have opted for the special on three. thanks mikeimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
      Emoji
      Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
      Drop image/file