Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Blowtorch Beauties

Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
What you think?
Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    The reverse looks nice but not great, the obverse I don't like at all.

• Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    Looks nice, how'd you do it? Directly on the coin or just the heat? Did you have to use any chemicals or liquids or just a straight blowtorch on the coin?

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Wow,Looks original to me.
    No really.It doesn`t look AT.Maybe it is but I can`t tell one way or the other.
  • Options
    kudos! to you, dog, if you did this yourself. looks like you applied heat to the rev. and it looks great. the obv - not so great - looks baked. suggest you use a heatsink for the obv. like lay the coin in a shallow bath of water. that may give you an even blue obv if you bake the rev.
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Looks ok to me.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dog97

What did you use to hold the coin in the area around the "IM" in dime image? Just the look in the scan would make me suspect. The coins just doesn't look "right".
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Dog, are you pulling our legs? This doesn't look good enough to be AT, is it real?
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    The hard edges between the colors makes me 95% sure this is AT. The oxidation doesn't appear to be attached to the surface, either. Protected areas on obverse seem to be far less affected. The reverse, though, doesn't seem to share all the same characteristics. But it doesn't look natural to me.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i didn;'t know there were that many colors in a box of crayons.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    The last several days we had a baby hurricane, Bertha, over our heads and couldn't go to the beach and rip the tourists so I was at home goofing off with a propane torch.
    Very good pmh1nic! I was holding it with a dual alligator clip on an adjustable arm stand. Similiar to what the hippies call a roach clip.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

Hey Dog,

Save them for entry into the blowtorch division of next year's Ugly Coin contest.image
  • Options
    AT techniques?
    I,ve gotten neat results with fresh quarters(OBWRs)useing pliers to gently hold the coin over a candle flame.
    Its just for my own amusement BTW.Not trying to pawn something off on anyone.I,m not a seller.
    Anyway,the coin will start to turn light golden,then to a darker amber,and if longer cooking is done,it goes to a magenta to blue then purple and black if REALLY cooked.

Also a light mixture of jeweluster and water in a bowl in which you strategiclly place a few coins in,then left to sit until the solution has evaporated,you can get some wild rainbow colors that way.If they look awful,just re-dip to blast white and start over,if you wish.

I may start an AT gallery of a few of my 1c,10c,25c coins.

Again,I,m not trying to trick anyone.Just entertaining my bored self.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cam - hmmmmm.... Jeweluster and water in a bowl till evaporated you say?? Wild rainbow colors you say?

Oh gotta go...I uh... got some coins to get ready for Ebay!image

Tyler
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭
    I've done the blowtorch thing at work some nights while bored.........gotta do something to stay awake on those 12 hour nights. I just pull a handful of change out of my pocket, douse it with various chemicals, and lightly hit it with a blowtorch.......I get some wild colors to show. After it has cooled, I put it back in the pocket for use in the vending machines, so if any of you guys in the Atlanta area find any strangely toned coins that look fake as hell..........those are mine. image
    imageimage

• Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Wow, Dog the doctor. Good eyes PMH.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    I hit a `Zincoln` with a blowtorch and it fell from the pliers like jello till it landed in the sink.Went it cooled,the obverse and reverse looked like a crumpled piece of paper.I still have it around here somewhere.
    I should show it.Looks funky.image
  • Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,721 ✭✭✭✭
    yeah them zinc cents just wrinkle right up.
    imageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file