Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How do you open these round holders

How do you open the holders shown in This Auction without messing up the container?

Comments

• Options
    Is it me or has that coin been polished?????? Hopefully the rest of the coins are ok, and it's not like you spent very much on them.
  • Options
    They're kind-of a bugger - I watched Russ try to impale himself doing it with one of mine today.

There's a little notch on the side. Some careful prying with a small standard screwdriver should do the trick. image
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Use a steak knife right at the seam. Just gently rock it back and forth until the blade enters the gap and twist the knife. It'll pop right apart and your coin will fall face down to the floor. Good luck!image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    The steak knife method dheath described is the only way I have been able to get them open without cussing a lot. image
    The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I have my morgans in them, you squeeze and use a fingernail. Not difficult with patience and training. image
  • Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

Vindication! I thought I was the only one who couldn't get those little monster "airtites" open. image

To know that there is corroboration of this phenomenom is liberating ! Somebody else has trouble opening them also!

I use a small Swiss Army Knife on the seam, and VERY carefully pry them open - it requires a LOT of patience (and self control). image

My wife just shook her head and walked away all those times I told her I was "opening coin oysters". image
  • Options
    They're the only holders that I have ever used for my Fugio collection. I use the blade of my pocket knife to gently pry the halves apart - they're easy to open and provide excellent protection for the coin.
  • Options

OK Abuell,

If they are so darn easy to open, what do you say I send you about 50 and you open the little devils for me?image

Thanks in advance.image
  • Options
    hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    The coins were crap... didn't know you could find a 1944 coin that would grade AG-3 to G-4. Of the ten I got, none were better than an F-12 (and most were latter dates). At this point, I think the holders are worth more than the coin. image
  • Options
    BBNBBN Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭
    set a firecracker under it image

Positive BST Transactions (buyers and sellers): wondercoin, blu62vette, BAJJERFAN, privatecoin, blu62vette, AlanLastufka, privatecoin

#1 1951 Bowman Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #2 1980 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
    #8 (and climbing) 1972 Topps Los Angeles Rams Team Set
  • Options

Wait till you see the cost of bandaids, antibiotic cream, etc. from the pain you've inflicted on your fingers trying to open those demons from hades just so you can use them again to hurt yourself again.image They are the very spawn of the devil, right up there with stapled cardboard flip trolls.image
  • Options
    The sharp pocket knife idea did the trick.

The "trick" is all in how to wiggle the knife to get it start seperating the two pieces.

EDIT:

After getting the hang of it with the first three or so, I was able to open the rest in an average of about 5 seconds... no bandaids needed.
  • Options

Airtites and stapled cardboard flips were specifically engineered by the evil mind of Beelzebub to inflict pain and agony on poor, unsuspecting, and old stubborn, collectors. Send them all back to hell now! image Save your souls while you still can! image

Thank you for you attention.
  • Options
    Speaking of cutting, have you ever tried to straighten out a Craftsman riding lawnmower blade?

I now have a nice gash in my right hand to tell the tale of stupidity...

As for Airtites, I haven't had the pleasure of using them yet. I have put a few stables thru my fingers opening cardboard flaps.image Ahhhhh, the joy. image

Robert
    You want fries with that?
  • Options
    Robert,

I'm finding that the easiest way to open 2x2s is with a pair of sissors (if the staples are not too close to the coin).
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    Throw it at your wife, if her head is hard enough it should crack open...the holder that is.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I agree with hookooekoo about the 2x2's...scissors are the way to go. About the airtites, you can gently squeeze them (I use a pair of vice grips but pliars, etc. work as well). Don't squeeze too hard, just enough to warp them a bit. Then they pop right apart, I can do it with my bare hands but some people would prefer jamming a knife, etc into it at this point. A gentle squeeze really does pop em right open.
  • Options
    relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I had a mint holder that I couldn't get open no matter what. Then I tried pliers to squeeze the plastic on the side was was able to get little pieces to break off, but it still wouldn't open.

So I used a little screwdriver to pry the plastic off, but it slipped and put a big gash in the coin. I gave up trying to open it after that.imageimage
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • Options

This has been an extremely informative and helpful thread - not to mention some very interesting and emotional stories.

Just one question on the airtites and the pliers/vice approach. How do you keep from leaving big, ugly scratches on the plastic. Interested minds with damaged fingers want to know?image
  • Options
    wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭
    The easiest way to open a 2X2 is to take the point of a toothpick and run it around the inside of the hole in the cardboard. This will nicely cut the plastic lining allowing you to easily remove the coin without accidently cutting it or scratching it on a staple.

WH
  • Options

Wayne,

Brillant method on the 2X2s - Thanks! image
  • Options
    Ok, so 2x2s are the spawn of Satan and airtites are manufactured by Beezlebub, so what is everyone doing with their coins?

I like the airtites but I tried for 45 minutes and couldn't open one. I didn't have a sharp knife handy though. I'll try that later image

I would like to put my non-slab's in "board approved" containers, so please help image
  • Options
    I found whipping it against the wall did the trick....problem is I have to search for the coin afterwards.

JL
    Can anyone spare some change??
  • Options
    Has anyone seen those lighters that are like torches?

Maybe just melt the edges off, would that work?!image

Robert
    You want fries with that?
  • Options

I am switching to the solid plastic 2X2s for most of my coins.

I have lots of cardboard 2X2s and 19mm airtites, anybody want to trade?image
  • Options
    Question: How many forum members does it take to open an airtite holder? Answer: So far about 10. No one has come up with the correct answer though...so here goes. I have always used my trusty precision small straight slotted screw driver (the ones jewelers use to take off the backs of watches to change batteries) You simply tap the driver into the tiny groove and tap it in and work your way around the coin similar to opening an oyster. Sorry for you guys that have hurt yourselves.....and I have never hurt myself since I gave up cardboard 2x2's and staples!! imageimage
    "LIVE FOR TODAY, BECAUSE THERE MAY BE NO TOMORROW!"- DEANE

• Options
    BTW: Adding that I use airtite holders religiously now cause those darn plastic 2x2 holders are not air tight and the coins wiggle around in the holders all the time. Constantly have to shake them around to get them right side up again......grrrrrimage
    "LIVE FOR TODAY, BECAUSE THERE MAY BE NO TOMORROW!"- DEANE

• Options
  • Options

Counterfeit Airtites?

I think I may have a batch of counterfeit airtites! Mine don't have the slot! I just looked at some old ones I have and the "slot method" works. But the newer ones don't have a slot. Is somebody selling Airtite knockoffs?image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file