Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anaconda's Theory on Toning

FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
Read the description in this auction. Quite interesting.
Matt

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not only believable but credible.
    The coin looks right to me and that is my final judgement when I look at these beautifully toned coins. Does it speak to me?

peacockcoins

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Haven't seen more than a handful of TX commens toned nicely and none that nice. Will be watching to see what it snags.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    He's taking issue with Bob Cambell in his AT video which mostly applies to bag Morgans. Though informative his video barely touches the subject, just the basics. A Morgan with thick even toning like the Texas would no doubt be NGed by the services.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a perfectly fine Texas commem and I can see Adrian's point on toned coins.

Bob Campbell has said for some years now that many Buffalo nickels that are in holders are AT. In his AT video Bob mentions this but didn't have time to go into it since, as Dog has pointed out, the video is basically a Morgan video. Bob may be right but I have a number of toned Buffs (I've bought in holders) and I have several Kennedy halves that have toned in a Dansco holder over the last 10 years. The toning patterns on the Kennedy's are almost EXACTLY the same as a number of my toned Buffs (keep in mind the "surface" metal of the nickel and Kennedy half are the same so this is a good comparason, IMO). So is Bob right? I dunno but it just seems to me since Campbell has yet to give an explaination of his "theory" on Buffs we'll have to wait for better evidence.

jom
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Is it just me or....after viewing that AT video a second time,it seems Bob is sending mixed messages.
    On one hand he states that hes spent `stupid money`on wonderfully toned coins,but then expresses the importance of storing your coins in a `stable enviroment`in so many words...Why not store them `improperly`so you might get someone like him to spend`stupid money`on them.
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    ttt
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Adrian makes a profoundly salient point. Bob's video is a great start and since Morgans is one of the most popularly collected of US coins (and, I understand, the most commonly AT'd), it's a good place to begin learning about AT. I really wish someone -- like Adrian, perhaps -- would publish a more general guide on toning, both natural and artificial.
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    You have to love the Morgan in this auction. I am not a tone lover but I like the nice toned coins and I love that Morgan. I can't imagine how nice it is in person.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file