Home U.S. Coin Forum

what is the oily substance in saflips?

i just got an order of saflips from pcgs. if you look at them against a dark background you can see bubbles that make the two sides stick together. i think it is some kind of lubricant used in the manufacturing process. i also think it will kill proof coins. but is there a way to clean out these before use and do i need to?

Comments

• supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    Assuming you got E&T Kointainer SAFLIPs, that is NOT oil, it's just the mylar sides of the flip clinging to each other. They are safe to use as-is.

They are manufactured under strict quality control. Don't attempt to "clean" them, you'll just get them dirty. image
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    presleyh,

If they are the real deal, the package they come in will say SAFLIP with the little R next too it. The colors are kind of cool, though.image

Russ, NCNE
  • these are the real ones from kointainer. but it was one of these in which my beautiful ike turned milky on its way to pcgs. i got it back and i see why they called it a pr65 cam after a previous icg grade of pr69dcam. it doesnt look like the same coin. it is milky hazed on all mirrors. it happened in the saflip. these are identical to the ones that were sent with the start up package from pcgs. they are sort of "crunchy" whereas the second set of flips i bought locally were soft and produced dcams. this is a learning thing for me but im a little concerned about sending in proof coins.
    Did you use a poly bag inside the flip last time? The best results I've had are with the SAFLIP alone.
  • no, i cracked it out , with white cotton gloves on, and slid it into the saflip. i never toughed or even breathed on the coin. i thought it was a little hazy looking an hour after it went into the flip, but i mailed it in anyway. there really seems to be something oily inside these things. but i am open to any suggestions and procedures as to shipping proof coins.
    That's weird, if it was hazing within an hour, it must have had something going on while inside the ICG slab but was prevented from reacting until you exposed it to the air.

I'm afraid I don't have any better suggestion than using SAFLIPs alone. That's what I settled on after ruining a lot of coins with other methods. I also send them via Express Mail to minimize time in transit so they aren't exposed to as many temperature extremes.

Of course Express is not as safe as Registered Mail from loss/theft. I also don't pay for any extra insurance to avoid drawing attention to the package. Usual disclaimers about doing it at your own risk. image
    presleyh,

I never pop a coin in a flip right after cracking it out or pulling it from packaging. I learned the hard way that, once exposed to air, some proof coins grow gunk all by themselves. Now, I leave them out for a couple weeks before submitting.

Russ, NCNE
  • well, i think i will submit 5 kennedy pf69 dcam coins in the icg slab and let them crossover to any grade and see what happens. i bought a group of 8 coins from a guy for about 100 bucks. the first three i cracked out and submitted were all pretty much trashed by pcgs and i wonder if the flips had anything to do with it. if they go out htere in the icg slab i know it cant be the flips if they are dropped two or three grades. these coins look fully dcam to me. but so did the ones that came back cam last time. the worst case scenerio is i may learn something, and i probably wont lose over $100 in value. also if the 71s dcam happened to crossover i could buy coins for a month off the profit!
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Presley,

May I ask a nosey question? If the 71 came back PR69Dcam, being one of 16, would you sell it?
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
    Don,

There are 17.image

Russ, NCNE
  • GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    presleyh

Before settling on "PCGS trashing" your coins, have you considered, where and how you are sending them from, how long they are in the postal system, the possible temperature changes they may have been exposed to, YOUR environment and technique when cracking them. There are numerous variables to be considered, particularly when your experience seems to be the exception and not the norm.

Have you noticed that the ICG slab SEEMS to be more pliable than any other slabs I've encountered. Pliability usually indicates PVCs; maybe that is why they offer the Intercept insert for additional stability.

If you truly feel PCGS trashed your coins, you really ought to pursue some type of recourse, and not just accept the damage, for the sake of all collectors, and here is my soapbox comment:

As a submitter to PCGS you have essentially made certain agreements; one of which is to bring errors to their attention - you are part of the QC process.
    Gilbert
  • If it crosses over i would probably hold it for a while. gilbert your points are well taken. this thread is about the saflips. when i say pcgs trashed my coins i am referring to the loss of 4 dcam coins down two or three grades and all changing to cameo. i really believe the flips had a lot to do with that. i think the mirrors all hazed over. i do not necessarily mean that pcgs was wrong on their evaluation, but when a coin drops in value by 90% i call that trashing a coin. and once again all the dcams changed to cams. so if i send these graded coins in within the slab maybe they wont fall so far in quality if the flips had anything to do with the quality of the coin. that is my little experiment of the week.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file