Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A real live coin doctor at the NY ANA show!

While going around buying coins and meeting folks at the ANA show, I came across a table with 50+coins with nice toning for sale. A bunch of post 1938 stuff and many gorgeous moderns. While standing in line to get prices along with several collectors, this dealer and two others (that I have seen many times) talked out in the open about buying this blast white coin and AT’ing it. They talked about the cost of the coin divide 3 ways and what the “doctor” was going to charge on top of that. Needless to say the two collectors walked off, as did myself.

His coins were good, and many had been slabbed. Maybe its naiveté but I was honestly shocked and it takes a lot to shock me at coin shows. All I can say, as a dealer is it’s a shame to have heard and seen this take place.

Bryan

Comments

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bryan,

I'm not surprised. This is why PCGS is body-bagging so many toned coins.
    Also, with copper, the people in the know tell me that the coin will look fine for a month or two, and then it'll start looking funky.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

<< <i>All I can say, as a dealer is it’s a shame to have heard and seen this take place. >>

It is a shame, but I am suprised you haven't heard it before now.

Cameron Kiefer
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>His coins were good, and many had been slabbed. >>

And yet I get a naturally toned '64 JFK body-bagged.

Russ, NCNE

• Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Bryan--
    Yes, I would find that deeply disturbing too. To hear it spoken about so openly, right in front of collectors at their table, seems almost kind of surreal to me.
    Welcome back from NY.
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    Bryan,

I heard a couple of dealers comparing AT techniques at the TNA in May. They were pretty close to the Lincoln Set that was on display in the corner, if I remember right. The methods they were using were more household approaches. When I passed by, they were discussing the merits of placing coins under hot water heaters and radiators. The material they had in their case, though, was mostly untoned or lightly toned stuff.
    Keith ™

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But I wonder if this isn't a repeat of what took place back in the day when dipping coins first started. Initial it's backroom stuff. Gradually it creeps out into the open and now it's common practice. As far as ATing coins is concerned I'm a little shocked when I hear other collectors say they don't care how a coin got it's color as long as the colors are attractive.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    i met that clown, hes the one that had a few that looked as if they had been blowtorched.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Did any of you catch this "clown's" name. There is a notorious coin doctor here in PA. I have so far avoided him, but, many people speak highly of him as far as coin knowledge, but, no one other than those out for the fast buck PUBLICLY speak well of his doctoring.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Hahahha!! Last year AT was a no-no, an evil bad thing and the members were jumping up & down proclaiming there was no way a coin DR could fool anybody never mind the grading services but this year nobody can really be sure what's real and what's not but as long as it is pretty and you like it it's ok.
    Maybe next year the coin DR will start toning High Grade Moderns so you guys can have something new to argue about. Hahahahaha
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    So who is this dealer? c'mon name names, that's one of the great things about this board, when there's a crook on ebay someone here always catches them, this dealer is no different, let's expose him!
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    Bryan, you must admit though- my rainbow toned American Silver Eagles, all housed in NGC holders, are attractive.

The money today is in the coins the collectors want. Pure and simple. Nothing will change other than the refining of color and the creation of better methods.
    That is the challenge and I'm not alone.
  • Options
    TonekillerTonekiller Posts: 1,308 ✭✭
    >>CoinDr,

Your first name please or PM me your name and I will answer your question.

>>nucklehead,

I do not care to have anybody lynched just b/c I disagree with their “hobby” . I distain the practice as it hurts legitimate tone coin dealers.image
  • Options
    jamesfsmjamesfsm Posts: 652 ✭✭
    What methods were they discussing? I have heard the same thing generally of buying prooflike MS65 common date morgans and toning them and submitting to the services.
  • Options
    Reading this whole thread makes me glad I am not a collector of toned coins.

It also solidify's my position to never start.
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options

<< <i>What methods were they discussing? I have heard the same thing generally of buying prooflike MS65 common date morgans and toning them and submitting to the services. >>

He never said but his case was full of SEGS blue/purple (not the mint set colors) moderns.......I did talk to Mike over at the ANACS booth about it and he stated all three top services were on to him now and his signature job. That’s good to hear.
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey! I tone coins... Not to sell, but only for myself. I collect old coins, and feel that they ought to have an antique look to 'em. So, when the situation allows, I'll stick that coin in a velveteen-lined flip and let it sit for as long as it takes until it is more appealing to me.

BTW, I have actually practiced various A/T methods on silvers as an educational exercise. My reasoning is that it's easier to spot A/T if I actually can do A/T. For better or for worse, I'm not very good at doing A/T. (I am, however, pretty good at spotting A/T for the series in which I specialize.)

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭
    EVP

When you sell these coins will you be telling the potential buyers that you artificially enhanced them?

CoinDR

Do you understand or care about the disservice you do to the hobby in general and the affect on the market value of individual collections because of your efforts at doctor coins? Of course this is a rhetorical question.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

>>nucklehead,

I do not care to have anybody lynched just b/c I disagree with their "hobby" . I distain the practice as it hurts legitimate tone coin dealers.image >>

Whoa hoss, I said lets "expose" him, not lynch him. That's a little drastic.I just hope it's an east coast dealer that I don't have much dealings with anyway.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    LOL! image

He is on the East Coast.

TBT
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PMH:

The coins I use to practice doing A/T are junk coins worth slightly more than their bullion value. I suppose they can be for sale some day, but I suspect no one will give a hoot about 'em.

As for the ones I let tone slowly over time, I wouldn't consider that A/T. I don't know if others would either, but I think this method is no different than the toning method of the Evergreen and Benson coins. Anyway, I haven't sold any of these because they're not for sale. (Actually, I do occasionally trade coins with my friends. In those cases, they know the history of my coins pretty much as completely as I do.)

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

I mentioned this before in another thread, but here goes.

Unless you know the history of the coin there is no way that you can definitely know for sure that a coin is or is not AT (excluding some extremely sophisticated and costly analysis techniques that the services do not possess). Toning is a combination of metallurgy and chemisty. All natural toning can be reproduced if the "coin doctor" has the resources and knowledge. I was a principal investigator at a leading metallurgical research laboratory for a number of years, and I have no doubt that there are people with the skill and resources necessary to fool anybody.

My guess is that the real pros at the AT game concentrate on a few high quality techniques and coin types that maximizes their profits. The kitchen doctors and amateurs produce a lot of junk that can be detected, or that will change over time, but don't fool yourself, the real pros can ALWAYS fool you.

AT determination comes down to do you know the full history of the coin, because if you don't, you can't be sure if it is AT or not.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Pushkin,

I believe you 100%. Some AT is easier to detect than others. You say that you worked in a metallurgical research laboratory for a number of years. I'm a Mechanical Engineer by education and would love a dissertation on what EXACTLY is toning. If toning is the addition of oxygen atoms to the silver, could you not have a process to remove that extra oxygen?

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Pushkin,

I believe you are 100% incorrect. In fact, the only accurate word in your last post was "guess".

Dragon

• Options
    American people "I did not,i repeat,did not have sexual relations with that coin"
    ha ha i have to agree with the masses on tonning,you can in almost every coin tell if its AT or not.
    oh this is just my honest opinion and that of many many others.
    TRADERBOBZBLOG
    An open mind will support transformation.
    Recognize life is full of change
    and celebrate the opportunity.
    "There is always a way to collect,Never surrender the hobby"
  • Options
    moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... and it's another TREMENDOUS BODY SLAM from DRAGON!!! Pushkin is DOWN! Could this be the end!?!!?!

am
    100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • Options

Just adding oxygen will give you nice, black silver. Its really the sulphur, and to a lesser extent, a little chlorine and other elements that, as well as oxygen give the colors. The real trick is to cut down on the reaction times to imitate "natural reactions", althought I don't believe natural reactions are anymore natural than human induced. (Just like those who believe natural vitamin E is better for you than synthetic, if its the same chemically, its the same - "natural" vitamins usually just contain some other compounds that the synthetic stuff doesn't, add the other compunds and its the same).

Also, how the chemicals are applied to the surface, which will change the reflectivity of light across the surface, and absorption of light by the surface, will contribute to the toning process.

I'm also sure that there are a few (very few) professionals out there who can restore natural mint luster to coins. These guys are a select group that can fool the graders, and they are very skilled and sophisticated, and probably rich.

The bottom line is the chemical reactions are the same. If natural is accidentally storing a coin in an old book with a high sulphur content paper, or in an old mint bag with sulphur compounds in the cloth, or dropping a coin between old wood flooring in an office building next to a chemical plant; and AT is inducing the same chemical reaction by cooking the coin in a turnip filled with spinach for 8 hours (I don't recommend this method), then so be it.

I would suggest some of us stop worrying about "AT" or "natural". If there is beauty there, enjoy it - because again, "if you don't know the history, you don't know the coin".
  • Options
    Pushkin,

Are you an expert on toned coins with many, many years experience or an investigator in a research lab, there's a MONUMENTAL difference between the two, and you are making random statements that are quite simply incorrect.

You state that you are "sure" that there are a select group of very skilled and sophisticated individuals out there that can restore the natural mint lustre to coins without detection, and able to fool the grading services, and that they are also probably rich.

How many pieces have you ever seen that were once washed out grey, dull MS coins that are now in PCGS holders with full blazing white mint brilliance????? EXACTLY!.....NONE....you're just making random, baseless, incorrect remarks not based on fact but rather conjecture and wild speculation.

Dragon
  • Options

Maybe some of your should take the time to actually read my post. I thought I made it clear that the pros are few, but they are also good. MOST of what you call AT is crap - my cat could tell the difference (yes, cat urine also works for some AT).

But if you think you can discover the work of a pro - well human self-deception is boundless. Yes, I know, we all want to believe that ours is natural and "theirs" is AT.

Well guys, educate yourselves - you'd be surprised at what you might learn image. Nothing personl, image.

• Options

Hi Dragon,

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. That said, my mother told me when I was very young "If you don't know what you are talking about, its best to keep your mouth shut". I have tried to listen to my mother. My post was not based on armchair Ivory tower book reading, but by actually working with metals and chemicals, and 50 years of collecting experience.

However, I have no desire to try and change anyones belief system - if people want to believe in the tooth fairy, so be it. I posted a message based on experience and knowledge - not chants and incantations over a Ouija board, or more importantly, not what I want to believe..

Respectfully,
    Pushkin image
  • Options
    Pushkin,

I have taken the time to educate myself regarding coins, for the last 29 yrs. in fact, and viewing literally 100s of thousands of coins. That is how I know your previous statements are conjecture and speculation rather than fact and concrete examples.

Your prevoius comments may 'look good' and 'seem plausible' to others, but not to me, sorry.

Dragon
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spoke with a Coin Doctor/ Dealer twice, over the last couple of years (and posted here the experiences) and was (still am) amazed at what he can produce. I watched before my eyes a Peace dollar- cracked out of an NGC MS64 holder- submitted to a four step process that allowed the coin to take on a charming mix of light, sunset colors- especially on the rims.
    This coin originally had its original skin, having never been dipped (apparently this is key) and although it was placed into a PCGS 64 holder (no point up in grade) it was now valued at 10X's its original cost of $35.00.
    And, even though I DID know the story of this coin I was almost drawn to buy it because it was so attractive.

I stopped collecting Toned Coins for awhile after these two experiences but then realized, if I like the coin buy it. I just now am sure to adjust my pricing schedule.

Dragon- I know what you mean about blast white coins and how luster really can't be restored (although apprarently that is the next big wave? It was mentioned to me then that those "Teeth Whitener" machines were being somehow incorporated in the process), AT has come a long way. I'm a happier collector for having given up the notion that I can spot an AT coin anywhere at anytime. I know now that is not true.

peacockcoins

• Options

So Dragon,

You knew the histories of all those coins, right?

You studied and experimented with chemistry and metallurgy, right?

You believe that chemical reactions don't apply to coins, right?

You say that what I posted is just speculation, and what you say is fact (based, of course on your superior knowledge), right?

OK, Then please explain why metal that is formed into a coin suddenly has "special chemical properties" the it didn't have before? This is important - Really!

By the way, did those 100s of thousands of coins sign little certificates that certified "I'm AT" or "I'm not AT" ?

Thank you for your attention.image

• Options

One last statement. I should not have said "I am sure" about the restoration of natural luster. I have good secondary and circumstantial evidence that a few individuals can fool the services, but no first hand knowledge that would hold up as legal proof.

I apologize for the wording of that comment.
  • Options
    Give us another two years and guys like Dragon will have no arguement. Our methods for producing blast white coinage is being perfected as we speak.
    The more collectors chase after these coins and faster and harder we work in providing them.
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get real. Why are people with knowledge not scared? A lucky hit/job now and then I totally believe. Multiple similiar coins, you bet, for a short time at the services. Light, chemicals, ultrasound, now laser. So what. If I'm fooling myself I've done it well for 29 of my 43 yrs. K
  • Options
    ClankeyeClankeye Posts: 3,928
    Another two years and I'll bet you'll be ready to get that driver's license and maybe start shaving. Eh, CoinDr?
    Brevity is the soul of wit. --William Shakespeare
  • Options
    Pushkin,

You sound rather frustrated that everyone here doesn't just accept your statements as 100% fact and truth without refutation.

I never said I possessed superior knowledge or any such thing, nor did I state that I am a Ph.D in chemistry or metallurgy, nor did I say that I know the history of every coin I've ever seen or anything even remotely like that........what I did say was that you are making statements without concrete facts and/or specific examples to back up your statements. 'Good secondary' or 'circumstantial' knowledge is just that.......

If you want to lend credibility to your previous statements, give specific examples of coins in PCGS that you have FIRSTHAND knowledge of, or show pics of coins that were AT'd by these so-called master coin doctors.

Dragon
  • Options
    Hi Dragon,

First, I don't expect anybody to accept that what I stated as 100% fact, nor do I believe that I know "everything". Quite the contrary, as I get older the more I realize just how little I know.

Do you really think that I could get somebody to give me their coin in a PCGS slab and that I could prove it was or wasn't "AT" without the history? That would be contrary to what I said.

Please don't try to diagnose my mental or physical state - its a suble form of name calling (rather you just called me a name). image

I've had enough experience with coins, and enough education and experience with metallurgy, that I have no doubt that some of the best "natural coins" out there are AT, yes, i've seen them - but so what? If you like the coin, if you find it beautiful, why concern yourself?

As for proof, your argument and mine are on equal footing, neither of us can prove anything without the coins full history. Do you really believe that a professional coin doctor is going to agree to your public disclosure test?

What I do know (for good or bad) is the "better coins (a few) through chemistry" is a reality.

Unfortuantely coin ATing isn't like art restoration, there aren't many professionals out there showing off their skills to the public.

I have no doubt that the skilled professional (like you) can detect most AT (most of it is of rather low quality and doesn't 'look' natural anyway).

My point was that the real pros will fool you, and that without the coin's history you are only speculating. As for the majority of ATers, they're amateurs.

Have a great day! (Yes, I'm frustrated right now because I'd rather be petting my cat and chewing on a peach/raspberry ice cream cone).
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Dragon - If you belch anymore fire on poor pushkin , we will have to start refering to you as the Ronson lighter.The smell of brimstone on the Forum is so strong I had to open up the windows as well as the sliding glass door in the livingroom to air things out a bit. Shall we agree to disagree and move on to something else. Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options

I wish I had Bear's wisdom. That would really be something! image
  • Options
    Fellows this is a most interesting, educational, and entertaining thread. Tonight I am going to crack out a couple of dull lifeless ACG 65s and tomorrow I will take them into my office and see if I can restore their luster with my YAG laser or my partner's BriteSmile laser.
  • Options
    Bear,

It is rather aggrevating when individuals make absurd statements that they have no firsthand knowledge of, or facts, or specific examples to back up anything they say. The burden of proof is on THEM, not the person that tells them they are full of BS. Anyone can say anything and then tell you they have 'no doubt' or are 'sure' or whatever they want........yet anytime someone is called on what they say or claim regarding this issue, they either tell you that you're naive, you believe in the tooth fairy, or that if you like it you should just buy it, or some other absurd, baseless comment.

The same is true when the so-called highly talented coin docs are called on their endless BS and claims, it's all just talk until someone shows undisputable examples and actual facts of dull, washed out coins that have had their lustre restored to blazing mint brilliance without detection by experts, or until someone shows you a previously untoned coin that now has incredibly vivid mint bag colors and a textile pattern that is now in a PCGS holder and sold for many multiples of bid as a result.

Dragon
  • Options
    Dragon - GRROWWLLLLLLLL !!!!!!!!!!
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    If the coin doc's have gotten their tech down to the point that AT cannot be distinguished from NT, then either distinction will no longer matter or buyers will become unwilling to pay premiums for toning. Either way the price of toned coins will probably decline since in one case the supply will go up and in the other the demand will go down.

• Options
    Calgold - You have stated the fundamental truth of our economic system, thank you for putting all into perspective. Bearimage
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    CalGold,

Yes, you would think that would be the case, however, beautifully toned pieces are now selling at premiums that are higher than anytime in the past.....hmmmmmm.

I have also been listening to people say for at LEAST the last 15 years how the market for monster toned coins will fall apart because of this and various other reasons, and we'll probably be hearing that for the next 15 years also.

Dragon
  • Options

Calgold makes an excellent point.

My (opinion) is that this will take some time. There are very few real pros, and I don't believe they want this to happen, but the knowledge is out there, and it will eventually be disseminated. If this occurs, it will also put the docs out of business.

However, its possible that new works of art will be created - but will collectors buy beautiful (known to be ATed) coins?image
  • Options
    DRAGON - When abuse of AT reaches past a certain threshhold , where a loss of confidence exceeds ones love of beautiful albet questionable toning the market place will make a swift and dramatic economic correction. When this developement will take place , one can not say with certainty , but I believe , as with the stock market, all things will come to those who wait. Bear
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    No first-hand experience here, but I believe that it's entirely possible for some AT coins to make it into first-tier slabs. Considering the amount of money at stake, and the huge supply of "raw materials" to practice with, there's just too much incentive.

They can't be too good (killer iridescent rainbows all the time) or else the services will catch on, and they have in the past. But if the doctors create nice, but not too nice, toning, there's still a good profit to be made.

Now, recreating luster, who knows. But I have no doubt that technology is being given a workout even as we type.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re a specific example:

I have yet to see any coin doc who can remove carbon spots from Unc. type copper or silver without evidence of the coin's being doctored. The area that had the carbon spots appears discolored afterwards and is noticeable to a discerning viewer.

You don't even need a glass to notice this most of the time. Yes, I've seen some of these coins are in PCGS & NGC holders. I avoid them.
    "Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file