Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NGC or PCGS for Modern BU Commemorative Dollars

moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
I have about sixty modern lower mintage uncirculated commemorative dollars, most mark free, that I want to have graded prior to selling. In this particular case, do you think NGC or PCGS graded coins would be more profitable when selling the coins? It appears to me that I might have a better chance to get some MS70's from NGC, but since they sell for much less than PCGS MS70's I don't know if that would be the way to go. Any opinions or recommendations would be appreciated.
Thanks, Charlie

Comments

• Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    IMO PCGS for all moderns

• Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    unless you sure they are ms or pr 70s submitting modern commemorative is a waste of time. I can cherry pick any of the modern commems in any shop at a reasonable price so I don't think the slab is anything I would what. The US gov boxes look super nice to me and the coins are in air tights.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    There is not a significant spread between a NGC and PCGS 69, only at the 70 level. I think that NGC is currently cheaper on modern submissions, so I would go that route, unless you have a piece you honestly think will go PCGS-70.
    Keith ™

• Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Since they are only about $100 coins raw or slabbed 69 I wouldn't bother. $600 of grading fees out of your pocket is just like flushing 6 or 7 of them down the toilet. But since you asked, PCGS.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    moosesrmoosesr Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭
    I was looking at it like playing the lottery, if I got one PCGS MS70 I would get my grading fees back. Of course I usually don't win when I play the lottery.
    Thanks, Charlie
  • Options
    If you're just doing it for the fun then go for it but if you are trying to make a quick buck, same as the lottery you will lose.
  • Options
    If you're just doing it for the fun then go for it but if you are trying to make a quick buck, same as the lottery you will lose.
  • Options
    Take Dog's advice and sell them as is......when you start paying for the grading you profits will disappear quickly. As previously pointed out, if they don't come back at least MS69/PR69 you probably won't recoup the original cost of the coin + the grading fees. Their are plenty of buyers out their looking for moderns and they don't mind picking them up raw and taking their own chances with the grading services. If you do send them in stick with PCGS as they seem to bring the most when compared with NGC. Good Luck!!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file