Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ebay descriptions

Hi! We're getting closer to starting some auctions for my dad's estate. I read here more than once that coin bidders don't read the description much. Is this true for you? Do you depend mostly on the scan and the title?

Thanks! You have all been so helpful.

Comments

• Options
    lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    Describe what you're selling.
    Don't write the story of your life, or make up a bunch of nonsense.

Ray
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    The title should be well done so we know what is in there. The scan is the most important determinator for me and the description should be about the coin because that is what is being sold.

Neil
  • Options
    hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Yes, the two most important things are your Title.

@, etc).
    Try to make the image as clear as possible with a link to a detailed picture.

• Options
    RLinnRLinn Posts: 596
    Assuming you have not sold much on eBay, include a fair return policy and be sure you communicate quickly and clearly with any winning bidder. I agree with others that you are selling coin; not the hype. Any serious buyer will know the value. You just need to describe what the scan may not accurately show. Also might consider starting with just a few coins and asking this forum for feedback on your live listings.
    Buy the coin...but be sure to pay for it.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I'm the one that says bidders don't read the descripitions but I read the descripitions very throughly.
    I like a good descripition mentioning marks, color, strike. Assign a grade and don't just say "U Grade It" unless you have a great pict so that I can grade it.
    Tell the bidders that if they don't like your grade when they get the coin they can return it and have a stated return policy like 5 days or 10 days or whatever. Otherwise they will try to return it 2 months later when they are broke and need the money back.
    Tell them they have 10 days or so to pay or some bidders will drag around for 2 weeks before they send payment. Don't threaten them with negs in the descripition if they don't comply. Threaten me before I bid & I just won't bid.
    Don't use all caps and don't run all your sentences together. Use <p> to put it in paragraph form. Don't have dancing chickens, mouse trails or electronic music. My firewall filters out all that stuff anyway so I can't appreciate your efforts.
    Tell the bidders to check your other no res start @ 1¢ auctions for more value packed deals.
    Have reasonable postage. You can insure up to $50 and mail a slab in a bubble mailer for $1.67 or insured up to $100 for $2.57 and they have to sign for it. Use First Class mail, it's cheaper and gets there just as fast & safely.
    If you offer free shipping and put that in your title you get more hits & bids. Like "1870-O Morgan VG NO RESERV FREE" SHIPPING"
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I've ebayed before (buyer and seller), and am in agreement with you all on good auctions. Thanks for the tips, and I'll link you to our auctions when they get going.

I appreciate the time you've taken to answer my questions.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i read full descriptions only under 2 conditions:

(1) i have something stuck in my throat and need to expel it
    (2) the anti-depressants have worn off and i need a good laugh to get my day going

(comments all in good humor BTW)

K S
  • Options
    MacCoinMacCoin Posts: 2,545 ✭✭
    I'm a title reader first, than the scan than S/H and last the description. mostly because I'm one of the weird ones who think the seller is lying about it anyway.

I hate it when you see my post before I can edit the spelling.

Always looking for nice type coins

my local dealer
  • Options
    Make sure you make the title Descriptive have a good scan of what your selling and have a clear concise description and makes sure that you clearly point out the terms.image And you'll do fine.image

Michael
    Need a website? Future Design Solutions has custom professional website design starting at just $249!

Check us out today!
    http://www.futuredesignsolutions.com
  • Options
    never use the word ESTATE,hoard,or metal detector find! i hate those in the title along with L@@K ARGH i think thats the one i hate the most
    ex: 1941 rare L@@K ESTATE FIND! (only to click on it and up pops a scummy whizzed coin cleaned with TARNEX(tm) and a crappy picture,as well as a description that says,you be the judge,i dont collect coins so you determine what its worth.
    TRADERBOBZBLOG
    An open mind will support transformation.
    Recognize life is full of change
    and celebrate the opportunity.
    "There is always a way to collect,Never surrender the hobby"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file