Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I learned something new today well watching HSN

The guy that was on there, the so called coin expert ( I use that phrase lightly) was talking about 50$ american gold eagles. These were encapsulated by none other then icg, but that is besides the point. Anyways he was talking about the rariety of the ms70 ( which is what they were selling) and he got into the subject on how rare they were and that there was only one coin that had less of a mintage the the 2000 50$ american eagle. Well he informed everybody that there was only 100,000 1909s vdb lincoln cents made. Yes I said that right that there were only 100,000 of them made, now this whole time I was trying to complete my small cent collection I thought that there 484,000 oh what little I know or thought I knew.

How and where do these so called coin experts come up with their information?? and how can a show that trys to make the customer feel they are getting a good deal by buying from them have a less then knowledgeable person be the one who is giving out information about coins???

Did anybody else catch the guy i cant remember his name. And if you wanted to know the price on the 50$ AGE was 699$. Such a good buy if you were to listen to the coin dude.

what do you think about this???????

And my grump isnt with the prices so much if the fools want to drop that kind of money its their problem. My grump is with the awful information that the coin expert was giving out. Come on if he is such an expert he should know the mintage. He has an ad on the back of the gray sheet, this dosnent speak very good of all of us he is in a way a spokesman for the coin collectors and dealers. I for one dont want this feeble minded fool being the spokesman for anybody. thats my whole grump with this

Byron
Im unemployed again after 1.5 years with Kittyhawk they let me go. image

My first YOU SUCK on May 6 2005

Comments

• Options
    BRdudeBRdude Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    I only watched that show once a long time ago, what a rip and such unscrupulous ripoffs. Buyer beware!!image
    AKA kokimoki
    the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed
    Join the NRA and protect YOUR right to keep and bear arms
    To protest against all hunting of game is a sign of softness of head, not soundness of heart. Theodore Roosevelt
    [L]http://www.ourfallensoldier.com/ThompsonMichaelE_MemorialPage.html[L]
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Shouldn't the return on investment of that gold eagle be like the 1933 double eagle? Or is it the 1889 CC Proof Morgan silver clad unidentified disclike object?

The guy was probably pulling numbers out of his head (or somewhere further south) to say something. Every time I happen on the show, I want to watch but cringe. Even when muted, I'll see the prices and recoil in horror and think ebay is always a bargain...

Neil
  • Options
    I watched that today. I don't know why but it is entertaining. I did fall asleep half way through.

The one I like was the 2 Buff Nickels. A first and last year issue. 1913 Type 1 Raw and a 1938D graded MS66 by NGC. Selling price was $139.00. WHAT A DEAL........
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options
    JJacksJJacks Posts: 759

What was really bad is when they said BU 1964 Kennedy Halfs are rare!imageimageimageimage

Even if they had good prices, who would want to buy from people like that?

Besides that, they were selling rolls of BU 64 Halfs for $100 (regular price $190!). Check what they go for on ebay!

JJacks

Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They sometimes can talk for a long time without getting very close
    to accuracy. The guy does have an ad on the back of the grey sheet.
    I find the show most entertaining, though frankly I often have to mute it.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do give a toll free number. I suggest you call it and politely inform whomever answers of the misinformation and also tell them where YOU can get the same items cheaper.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As has been pointed out many, many times on this board, people know what they are buying. No use giving warnings and it is tiring reading about them. If someone wants to spend the money it is their business.

Heck with the current 46% annual growth rate in these coins, it will not take long for even these to be good investments.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,112 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For you long time listeners, first time callers, dbldie55 is just kidding. There is no 46% gain in these coins predicted from anyone other than possibly those who are selling these today.

I think I'll hold out though and wait until they sell these in NGC holders. I think they're only $5. more and the white slab looks so much better with these "MS70" gold coins.

peacockcoins

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Then you have not read this forum recently.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549
    i own no television and was watching the tube at my girlfriends today and happened on these two clowns. never seen them before but it was quite a show.

at one point while one of them was mauling a supposed "brilliant uncirculated" Franklin half the other was talking about how they looked like they just left the mint yesterday, not a hundred years ago. last time i checked, 1962 was 40 years ago.

(the other "first and last set" was a morgan 78s in 63 and an 04o in 64 for i think it was 200 bucks. ooh, what a bargain.)

the amount of misinformation given out, not to mention the number of times a coin minted after 1964 was referred to as rare, boggled my mind.

sadly, if they are to be believed, these thing were selling like hotcakes.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file