Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

After Years of Looking, I Finally Found One!

These are not easy to come by.

obverse
reverse

Dragon

PS: Thanks Graham, your finders fee is on its way.

Comments

• Options
    Totally awsome dude!!!! I never seen one of the original holders, where did you find it???
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    A big thanks to Graham for pointing me to it on Ebay!

Dragon
  • Options

Wow! That does look old!

Did all these old NGC holders have the grade on the reverse?

Do you feel this coin was undergraded?

JJacks

Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    thats neat. I almost like that better than their current ones.

never seen one. now I know what to watch for (for you) at shows.
  • Options
    TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice coin. I saw two of those holders at the ANA. both had Morgans in themimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Yeah thats real cool! I've heard Condor101 post about them and he said they were really rare. First time I ever seen one. I like it. Looks better than their modern day slab. I had to go back to a scond time to look for a coin in it...nice coin too! Certianly a case of the plastic being more valuable than the coin.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    baseball,

Yes, this coin would be an easy upgrade but I would never break this holder open. NGC was extremely conservative when they began in 1987, even more so than PCGS is today, that's one reason there are hardly any of the very first NGC holders left these days, they were all cracked out and bumped at some point. There weren't that many to begin with though, if I remember right, they only used these black holders at the very outset and only for a brief time.

BTW....Does anyone remember when NGC gold traded at a premium to PCGS?

Dragon
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dragon

Very Nice! In spite of all my ranting and raving about not buying the plastic in this case I thing it was not such a bad idea.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Congrats Dragon, since your post in the NGC forum I've found myself looking for them as well.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    WAY TO GO DRAGON! You say that was on ebay? What auction number? That makes the third one I've seen now in four years. These were only used for about 4 weeks with atotal production of around 35,000 slabs. Most have been destroyed over the years and estimates of the number still in existance range from between 40 and 400 pieces. Personally I think it's probably around 300 slabs extant. So it isn't the rarest slab/certificate but it is the most desired. I'm envious.

Jjacks, Yes the grade always appears on the reverse. NGC listened to a consultant who told them that it was very important to keep their name an logo before to customer and that they should have the logo on the more important obverse side and the grade on the less important reverse. The consultant completely missed the fact that it was the grade that made the SLAB important.
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Good for you, dragon! Were you set on getting one with a Morgan, or would you have taken the first one that came along?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad that you finally located one. Now the rest of use get to see what all the fuss was about.

Very nice and congratulations.

-----------

etexmike
  • Options
    kranky,

I would have gladly taken any piece in the black holder, the fact that it was a Morgan made it all the better.

Dragon
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    Dragon, did you buy the holder and not the coin AGAIN?! image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way to go Dragon!
    Now, Conder101- You mentioned this isn't the rarest slab. Which one is?
    Also- how rare is the same slab Dragon shows but all white (same insert type)?

peacockcoins

• Options
    LuvdawgsLuvdawgs Posts: 1,512
    Very nice one Dragon image I'd love to find one of those NGC black holders myself!

• Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    Ya Dragon.Only Conder has our permission to do that.No one else....One demerit for Dragon.image
  • Options
    That is one very cool holder!! What happened??
    Home brew is best - Never drink alone
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice catch, and that grading is very very tight.

stman
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    GrahamGraham Posts: 57 ✭✭
    Dragon,
    Im glad the transaction went good and you finally have one.

The coin also looks nice for the grade, you should crack it out and send it in for an upgrade!!! imageimage
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    Way to go. Glad you finally found one. Sounds like there indeed was a time when NGC had a legitimate shot at being the no.1 grading service, but they totally bungled it. Reminds me of Apple computer. image Anyway I really like the look of that holder and I wish they'd start making the black slabs again.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Maybe ACG will start making slabs like that, and then THEY will become the #1 service. I can't wait!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    It's alright Dragon can have this one since I already have one. One of the reasons they dropped the black insert was because although white silver and gold or red copper look stunning in them heavily toned silver doesn't look very good, nor does brown copper. Dark early large cents just disappear completely. I have a beautifully blue and gold toned Barber dime in mine but at any kind of distance the coin just fades into the holder.

The rarest? Well there are several slabs that had productions of just a few hundred pieces, The highest serial number I have seen on a Compugrade slab is 85. But the rarest third party holder is actually one of the early certificate varieties. NES Numismatic Evaluation Service debuted at the same show as PCGS. NES lasted for four days and then closed their doors after issuing just 46 certificates. I seriously doubt if any of them still exist today with the possible exception that the owner of the company may have one. For an actual slab I'd have to tip my hat to one by NCG. Not the same NCG that was talked about in another thread. This was a firm that started by slabbing the burnished dollars in 2000. They produced 201 pieces but when they were shown that another company using the same initials already existed they recalled the slabs before they were even sent out. The only evidence of their existance is a scan in my book. I was disappointed because I had purchased one of the slabs before the recall. (my money was promptly refunded. I would have rather had the slab.)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file