Home U.S. Coin Forum

So what would a complete PR69DCAM Registry set fetch?

This was a topic of discussion the other day.

I was curious why PCGS lists the price of a complete Kennedy Set in PR68 as being $11,805 ! image

http://www.pcgs.com/prices/frame.chtml?type=date&filename=kennedy_half_mod

Now, my older, odder and wiser compatriat/mentor tells me the price listed is fantasy.

My question is this: Why then, with a grading service so demonstrably in high esteem for its grading,
be so evidently completely out-of-touch with reality regarding the value? What possible advantage is there in this?
I'd submit surely anyone with the technical competence to put together a site as well-done as PCGS, could figure
out how to mine the actual data from the various auctions. Heck - I'd bet they'd all provide the data FREE in a nice
tidy comma-delimited (or other specified) format. No? So it can't be because the REAL values aren't available.

Please pardon my naievete' if I'm missing something that's painfully obvious to the veterans...

and secondly -
Any opinions about what it would really be worth?
- in PR69DCAM (or as close to it as could be obtained - with certain coins, that's a stretch to expect PR69DCAM)

Comments

• gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    Member dealers set the price guide. The prices listed are the "insane I could retire as a dealer if I could sell this crap at these prices" prices.

Considering I once saw somewhere where it listed Joel Rettew (the scumbag Accugrade screwer) as one of the contributers of the price guide, I think that should tell you the people behind the price guide.

• IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    The PCGS price guide which hales itself as the markets most influential price guide is a joke. They should change that to the markets most influenzal price guide. Their prices are any where from 50 to 30% out of line on most series.

• I don't know about the dealers behind the price guide, but I agree that many items in the PCGS guide are off, many are way high, and some are actually too low.

Lately I have been using the Heritage Value Index on Heritage's website for individual coins. That doesn't use dream land prices, it uses a price range that usually seems to be about right for what the coins will sell for at auction under normal circumstances. Generally, if I am getting a coin within the Heritage range, I feel it is a decent deal.

JJacks
    Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Hehe, Greg, stop beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel.

Russ, NCNE
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whoa! What a minute. Remember the 1964 PR68DCAM Accented Hair is taking about 85% of the total value of the set!
    PCGS isn't that far off on the other 60++ coins.

peacockcoins

• gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    I don't know about this set, but I remember seing coins where they were Pop 0 and had prices listed as $120 and other coins which were pop 1-3 and had prices of $10 listed.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>PCGS isn't that far off on the other 60++ coins. >>

Come on, Pat, they're not even close. Example: 1964 PR69 at $65, you can pick them up all day long at $30; 1964 PR69CAM at $295, no problem getting them at $120; 1969 PR69DCAM at $375, real life, $225; 1995 Silver PR69DCAM, $185, no problem getting them at $90. The list goes on and on.

Russ, NCNE

• BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Boy when we start talking about money, people sure get feisty. Luckey Im only a bear and dont get excited about such things. Anyway, be cool, be calm and above all else , be happy. Bearimage
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Thank you all for your input in the matter. I appreciate it.

Does anyone from PCGS hang out here?
    I imagine it'd be a spirited discussion... I'd sure like to urge them to try to report
    the real prices. IMHO it'd be a boon to business, not a drag on it -
    and it would solidify their standing by being the market authority on prices (real market, not the imaginary one)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file