Home U.S. Coin Forum

?1916-D? Merc on Ebay

Has anyone seen this auction? Item #1370996329. THe seller doesn't seem to know what he has. Does this seem on the up and up?

Comments

• Link

Sellers other sales are currency and misc. stuff.

If this is authentic someone stands to score a real deal in 30 hours.
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Wow you should have kept it to yourself image
    Is the B in liberty a strike problem or wear? The mintmark area looks rubbed or something.
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    Let see the snipe contest begin!!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Wow! A 3 day listing. An incomplete auction title (no "D"). What looks like a genuinely unknowing seller. Me thinks this is an auction that will be heavily sniped at the end. Anyone want to guess the final amount? I'm thinking around $1,000. And if the seller is legit, then I bet she has a heart attack at the final price!

-Dan
    Looks au-58 to me. I would bid but I don't trust it, there are too many places to get coin prices easy. This person would have to live under a rock not to know what they have if it were genuine.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Something smells funny.

Russ, NCNE
  • 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Wow!!! What a coin. Is it FB? The seller said it came from an estate, so somebody knew what he was doing by collecting it. The seller knows it's a D, but has no knowledge of the coin market (every newbie perusing the Redbook learns the key dates and semi-keys). Happy sniping guys/gals! I don't have that kind of money.

imageimageimage

PS: when reading the thread title, I thought the coin in question would be that one on ebay last week which was listed as a fake (in a former thread). But this one is real, as far as I can see.
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
    I e-mailed the seller and asked if they will guarantee it is not a fake if I win it.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>The seller said it came from an estate >>

They ALL come from estates.image

Russ, NCNE
  • FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do not know if you will be able to see this picture of the D I took from this Auction. It has all of the signs of being a added Mint Mark to this dime as far as I can see. Compared to the counterfiet dime in the PCGS Coin Grading Book it is the same.
      If someone bids highly on this dime I believe they will be Dissapointed.
    1. placid, I will let you know what it looks like after its over...imageimage...
      Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
    2. PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>placid, I will let you know what it looks like after its over...imageimage... >>

Ok, I just want to see what the seller say's I have no intention of bidding on it. I think the seller is trying to give themself every out there is for when the buyer finds out it's a fake.
    3. FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
      Real Left side and Fake Right side.
    4. He told me that if I was not satified, I could return it....
      We will see.....
      Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
    5. clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
      If something seems too good to be true, it probably is. Especially one in that condition.
    6. 1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
      Fairlaneman, I think you're right. (on second thought). Thanks for the blow-ups and comparison. Is the D from your comparison made from altering an S? And you think the one on the auction coin is done by adding it? I can't see anything wrong with your reasoning.

imageimage

PS: Do you collect Ford Fairlanes? I love old cars.
      .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
    7. FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
      1jester:
        The comparisons are pictures I took right out of the PCGS Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection Book. The Photo I put up Earlier in the thread was a blow up of the Mint Mark from the Dime that is in the auction. From what i can see it is a added D mint mark and placed Exactly the same as the one in the PCGS book. Original D's stand tall and have a Boxy shape. Fake D's are somewhat flat and rounded.

The Dime that is in the Auction looks exactly like the one PCGS has pictured, obverse and reverse.

I do not collect Fairlanes but I own a 64 2Dr HT factory 4Speed Car that I completely restored Myself except body work and paint. Daily driver is a 65 Comet Caliente and the Wifes Fun Car is a 65 Falcon Convert.
      1. Scott Traver's The Coin Collector's Survival Manual has close-ups of both a real and fake 16D mintmark. Page 117 in the 4th Edition. Fairlaneman's blowup of the mintmark matches the fake almost exactly.
      2. Here is another look at the mint mark.image
        USAF VET. 1964 -1968
        Proud of America!

I Have NO PCGS Registry Sets!
      3. Freudian slip? I asked about a return policy. The reply...

"I will return it it is a fake.
        And i will pay for the shipping to return it."

Now, if we were to seperate the first sentence into 2 seperate sentences, we have "I will return it" and "it is a fake" I'd love to have a coin like that , but this is too good to be true.

4. PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
        Here is the response I got.

yes I am willing to guarantee it is not a fake.
        And I will except a return if it is not up to your likeings of the coin.
        And I will pay for the cost of return shipping
      5. She(he?) actually has a thread on the ebay coin forum, seller sounds honest, but doesn't know mcuh about the coins...

link to ebay coin forum thread
      6. This seller should cancel ALL her coin auctions and do some homework and legwork to determine what she has. I don't believe she is deliberately trying to sell a fake coin(s), I just think she is clueless about
        what she has.
      7. Her 1918 Buffalo Nickel looks like an 18/7-D.
      8. goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
        that 20c piece is Gorgeous!
      9. PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
        I agree.
        In my e-mail I told the seller to get it certified by anacs,ngc or pcgs so that bidder's can know it is the real thing then he/she could probably get 4-5k for it.

Right now either the seller is going to lose out if it is real or the buyer might dpending if the seller really gives the money back if it's fake.

10. PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>that 20c piece is Gorgeous! >>

The ad say's "I have been told this is a good coin to have. Minted in s ".
        The picture shows a CC.
      11. That coin is not worth anywhere near $4000. The seller now has someone to shill bid!
        You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
      12. PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>That coin is not worth anywhere near $4000. The seller now has someone to shill bid! >>

Why not? Is numismedia that far off? They show $3,900 for au50 and $4,700 for au58.
      13. RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>seller sounds honest, but doesn't know mcuh about the coins... >>

All good cons sound honest. I'd point out that, generally speaking, somebody who doesn't know much about coins, also doesn't know much about producing nice scans of same.

Russ, NCNE

14. krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
        All canceled now.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
      Emoji
      Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
      Drop image/file