Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANA SHOW 2 DAY OUTLOOK

Well I made it home in one peice thank god. It was a very busy 2 days, as I was all over the place. I was able to meet a few notables and take some digital pictures (boy did one very prominent dealer freak when I snapped a shot, won't bother with them anymore). One really great person I met up with was Fred Wienberg. He had an incredible display of error material, and a few colorful tales he was telling others as I poked around his booth. Fred if you read this, your daughter is adorable and has picked up great knowledge from Dad.

First thing I noticed, was my hotel rate was to be 260, then knocked down to 209, then when I got there it was 199, so I didnt complain. I found my wayto the registration and took off from there. In the first isle I went down, I found an incredible 1853 large cent, ms65rb pcgs that had blue electric toning across the front of it. I will never again say "Ill come back for that later". As I wound my way around, I saw just as many darkside coins as old type also. Material didnt match my expectations on a large front. Im almost kinda disappointed. I am sorry to say that I was able to view quite a few peices in the Trade/Morgan, that were proof, and didnt at all look like I had expected. The almost cromish finish I saw on "most" of these peices have for ever turned me off to them. I swear these looked they were polished with noxon and they in my opinion looked crome plated.

One front interesting to look at was the currency. Im a sucker for that stuff and saw many a beautiful notes. The BEP prints offerd this year are incredible also. RHCN was kind enough to get all 3 which ive received (thanks ron) for me and they are incredible. What was even more fascinating was the spider press in operation. This guy knew his facts and added colorful anticdotes on the side. Real nice guy.

I took many a digital photo around the bourse, havent unloaded the camera yet, but will be posting most ACCEPT ONES OF DEALERS, ESCEPICALLY THE ONE LOUD TERRIFIED ONE. I did get a few photos yesturday of David Hall and Fred Weinberg but most were regular shots, not digital. I took shots of the king of siam set and the NGC Commemerative 51 coin set (NO CT< wtf?) had a bridgeport, no CT terc, in my opinion the best.

The grading services were cool. I made the mistake of mentioning PCGS to NGC....some wild blond went off on me big time. I had planned on submitting str8t thru NCS but she went ballistic trying ta explain how I myself could do it, so I joined the ANA but decided to have a board member here do it. The PCGS booth with wonderful Kari was cool, she conned me into 2 years and into submitting 8 peices I had brought with me. 1 killler Half from my silver set, all 5 qtrs (2002) and My sac and a 79 tpye 2 sba, which will come in hopefully better than the one ive got.

any questions shoot. I will post pics and other stuff when I get my land legs back.

HEY, I FOUND LARRYS NEW RUNNING SHOES, DID HE MAKE IT HOME OK?

(will post pic)

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Comments

• Options
    JamericonJamericon Posts: 437 ✭✭✭
    Well it sure is noce to know that someone else cares about comments about the show.

I was there Wed and Thurs and found currency to be HOT! Picked up some excellent pieces for my collection. The quality was great and just about anything you could want was there.

As for coins I did not see many lower grade betters and keys. Either they were not on display or they were just were not there.

Answer me this- Was the layout horrible or not?! Having the bourse split on to floors, I could get over, but the aisles could have been a d little wider.

Overall I thought the show was great and will show the market in full swing.

JJY
    Jamie Yakes - U.S. paper money collector, researcher, and author. | Join the SPMCUS Small-Size Notes, National Bank Notes, and NJ Depression Scrip
  • Options
    MICHAELDIXONMICHAELDIXON Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome back! I look forward to seeing the pictures.
    Spring National Battlefield Coin Show is April 12-13, 2024 at the Eisenhower Hotel in Gettysburg, PA. WWW.AmericasCoinShows.com
  • Options
    HuntHunt Posts: 67
    I was there on Wed. too and I must agree that there was little room in the aisles and the layout was tough to get use to. I wasn't sure where I had been and what coins I saw on which floor. All in all, I pick up a few keepers and it was worth the trip.
    THE C0IN HUNTER:

WANTED: I need these coins

Always looking for PCGS buffs, 1917 SLQs, and pre-1933 GOLD.

Check my want list above!!!
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Hi Bill,
    thanks for the post.
    Sorry we never hooked up.
    I did wear out my new shoes..
    It was a very busy 2 days for me also.
    Trying to look at every morgan and peace dollar takes time !
    Will post more about my trip when I get back to CA,
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    plz post pics and diminsions of kari k thx bai

• Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    heres a pic of fred till i get rest done image

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    dont tell me fred scared you guys...

I do remeber seeing alot of bust coinage. Some of it was very nice. Then again, some was incredibley small...especially the half dimes. Some looked real bright (raw ones, prob dipped). I noticed a table of toned dollars, but a few common date silver bullions looked blow-torched.

did someone need a program from the show?...pm me

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill
  • Options
    ttt one more time

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file