Home U.S. Coin Forum

AH Markers, including broken-ray reverse

DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
For those of you not completely exhausted by the previous AH discussion, I dug out the CONECA (Combined Organizations of Numismatic Error Collectors of America) attribution guide. It assigns the following attributes to DMR-1 (according to them - the ONLY one to produce AH, the obverse was changed starting at DMR-2 and was in none of the other 37 die sets);
It has a WEAK lower left serif on the I of Liberty, it is master die doubled with light spread on IN GOD WE TRUST, and date. On the reverse, it has a straight style G in the designers initials, and is known as the broken ray reverse because several of the rays are not continuous especially through several of the stars. (The illustration in the book shows this most dramatically with the stars just right of the eagles head on the reverse. Look closely at them and you'll see indentions in the rays where several of these rays intersect the stars.
This reverse die 01 design continued with the second obverse design very briefly, and produced another variety.

Link to larger pic.
Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

Comments

• That's some great info. I pulled out the 5 of the 21 that I bought and all 5 have the straight G and broken rays. COOL! I'm feelin' the jazz!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file