Home U.S. Coin Forum

1964 Proof Sets, varieties to look for

I just purchased 21 unopened (until yesterday) 1964 U.S. Mint proof sets. Are there any varieties to look for besides the AH Kennedy? Wasn't there a thread started on this a little while ago? Thanks, Matt

Comments

• Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 6,944 ✭✭✭✭✭
    link

Only this thread
  • Perfect! Just what I needed. Thanks, Big
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭
    I saw a proof Kennedy for sale on eBay yesterday with a start bid of 200 dollars. It was in an ANACS holder with the variety designated as the "Flared G". Whatever that means I have no clue. Neither did the seller because I emailed him and asked. He is a member of this board so I will with hold his name. If I could tell what the flared g looked like and if I knew it was that rare, I would have bid on it. Richard.
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Rampage,

I also saw that auction, and also have no clue what it is. Maybe Don will drop by this thread and whip out his Kennedy book.image

Russ, NCNE
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭✭
    Russ. I have about 50 proof Kennedys right now. If Don will swing by and let us know, I can check them all and see if I am lucky. image
  • GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    I know what a flared G is, but I don't know that it is anything other than the type 2 reverse; I guess an easier way to distinguish it is tha if it has a flared G it IS NOT an AH.
    Gilbert
  • DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Hi All,

And according to Wiles, the flared G in the designer's initials is like the T instead of the l at the peak of the letter G in FG. It is common and is only referenced in DMR-3 and DMR-5 and listed as common in both references. The straight G with no cross at the top is uncommon.image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • There were 2 different reverse die designs used as well as 2 different obverse die designs used. ODV-001 of course is the AH Kennedy. RDV-001 is the straight g and RDV-002 is the flared g. There are 3 die combinations that you can have: ODV-001 with RDV-001, ODV-002 with RDV-001 and ODV-002 with 0DV-002. Only a small percentage were ODV-002 & RDV-001. If found in PR69 I would be willing to pay $150.00 for it.
    There is also Master die doubling on both of the different obverses and reverses. This doubling can be seen on any proof that was minted at that time. The extent of the doubling will depend on hub state and die state. But, that aside, there are probably at least 35 or more known different doubling varities for the 1964 proof alone and probably more waiting to be discovered. The prices range from $15 to a couple hundred dollars depending on condition and the specific variety.
    Good luck in you hunt. BOB

RJB,

There is also a mention of a business strike coin that is MDR-2, RDV-2 that is doubled, and flared G. It is listed as DMR-5. Does it hold any charm?
  • Don,
    For business strikes there were 2 combinations, ODV-002 with RDV-001 and ODV-002 with RDV-002. The speculation is that several million of the first pairing were made before the transition to the second reverse was made and so no extra value is placed on whether there is a flared or non-flared G for a business strike. BOB
    RJB,

How long have you been a Kennedy proof variety collector, and what else do you collect? I understand there are 37+ DMR's for 64 alone. Have you gathered many?
  • Don,
    I have been collection Kennedy halves for several years. If I had to guess, about 5 years. I had the #6 MS Kennedy registery set at one time as well as #11 proof set, but I sold these off about a year ago as I was not enjoying being in competition. I kept all the variety coins and have since expanded my Kennedy varities to about 100 now. I have them all graded and attributed by ANACS after I send them out to Dr. Wiles for the secondary attribution. The primary of course is by myself. I have become much better at attribution and don't miss many. No competition and the joy of discovery. I am happy again.
    As far as the 1964's I have 16 different ones and still looking. The problem is, new ones are discovered every month. A never ending quest. BOB
    Bob,

I knew about the registry sets, and figured you had been at it for quite a while. I love the Kennedy series too, but I never knew how much detail I had missed until I bought Dr.Wiles book. What a fabulous effort. I can see how one would get immersed. I'm glad you still post. Do you use a stereoscope? I have trouble seeing the detail I hope to discover without using my digital camera and enlarging. I find that quite cumbersome.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file