Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

selling on Ebay

When selling on Ebay, do you suggest starting the price low or at what you think is Market Value for the coin?

Those of you who sell on Ebay, are you happy with the prices you get?

Thanks again!

Comments

• Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I set the start price at the least I will take for a item.
  • Options
    I agree with placid. I decide what is the least I will accept for an item and start the bidding from there. This way if it only gets one bid I am happy and if it gets more I am thrilled. image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    I think it kinda depends on the item. If you are interested in attracting bids on a very popular item (let's say a PCGS MS?? 1909-S VDB penny) you might want to start the bidding at $1.00 and place a reserve on the auction to cover yourself on the backside. Most of the time, though, it's best to start the bidding at your minimum acceptable sales price. At least you will find out if there is a market for the item at that price.image
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    starting the price low or at what you think is Market Value for the coin-are both good ways to list it. Me I like to start @ 1¢ so when it shows up on a search page you see a lot of bids. That makes the surfers think it must be something good if everybody is bidding on it so they click on it. This works great for semi-key coins but common coins seem to bring common prices and placing a FMV starting price on them will prevent them from selling too cheap.

Really it's about 6 or ½ dozen of the other. The secret to it is attracting their attention and getting the surfers to click on your listing. Nobody reads the descripition so you have to put as much info into the title as you can.

Sometimes I'm not happy with the prices realized but I'm more happy than if I sold them to a dealer for wholesale price.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    eBay has lots of people searching for coins. You won't get retail prices for your coins but should get more than what a dealer will offer. I start the coins low and set a reserve for the minimum I'd take for the coin. I want to sell the coin so set the reserve lower than what recent eBay sales are for the same or similiar coin. Often people set high reserves or starting prices and the auctions end up with no transaction. I don't think some sellers mind as they might consider the listing fees as advertising costs.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you plan to sell a lot of items and cost is important to you than lower starting prices will mean lower listing fees.
  • Options
    Welcome to the boards.

Read this thread and everything will be clear.

Thread
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options
    I start all my auctions at $.01. It is a bit risky, however I thik that buyers like it better as it gives them a chance to get a good deal.

Michael
    Need a website? Future Design Solutions has custom professional website design starting at just $249!

Check us out today!
    http://www.futuredesignsolutions.com
  • Options
    ToneloverTonelover Posts: 1,554
    One thing I look at is how liquid the item is. You can start a 1 ounce American Eagle at $0.01 and walk away being assured you will get very close to what they're trading for. If I'm willing to take what the market dictates, I will start at $9.99 and not look back. When dealing with more expensive or ecclectic items then I set a reserve for protection.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    coindaughter, if your looking for the best prices, the answer is D: none of the above

instead, make up a story about how your long lost husband died and left you penniless except for this huge estate of coins, then dump each one on ebay at exactly 3 cents times the diameter of the coin in millimeters. finally, mention that if anyone wins more than 30 coins, you'll include free a picture of a 55 gallon drum in your basement where the rest of the coins are being stored.

K S
  • Options
    Thanks to all! dorkkarl, I'll definitely be using your method. It makes the most cents! You aren't referring to earlycoin's auctions, are you??

Thanks to all, and I'll be linking you when we start auctions.
  • Options
    I was experimenting with that idea.

This one: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1370774055 hasn't gotten squat for interest.

Maybe I should claim it's a PR69 DCAM. image
  • Options
    i wasn;t actually picking on any 1 seller.

btw: guess i should have suggested that you make sure your caption screeches out that your coins were unsearched for any rare varieties or unknown mintmarks.

1 other thing: my comments are all in fun, i have no evidence that the folks i;'m picking on ain't legit.

good luck, and if you'll kindly mention your ebay handle, i'll post a couple of bids myself, as will others i'm sure!!!

K S
  • Options

<< <i>I was experimenting with that idea. This one: http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1370774055 hasn't gotten squat for interest. >>

it has now! and if i win, it will be the very 1st clad kennedy i;ve ever purchased for over face value!!!

K S
  • Options
    Heheh.... Thanks for the bid there Karl. imageimage
  • Options
    We haven't starting auctions yet, but when we do, we'll link you to them! Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file