Home U.S. Coin Forum

Price of PCGS Grading

How can I get a discount on PCGS grading? I am ready to send in 20 walking liberty half AU/BU coins but can not afford $100 for a gold membership plus $15/coin + S/H on Coins that are worth close to $30 each...

Even Anacs charges $10/each plus S/H ...

How do ebay sellers sell modern PR69DCAM Halfs for $20? What type of bulk discount do they get?

Thanks, Jason
Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator

Comments

• Just send them to ANACS and be done with it. They do well with Walkers.
    USAF VET. 1964 -1968
    Proud of America!

I Have NO PCGS Registry Sets!
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Become a Silver member for $99 and get four free submissions, some cool books and a MS68 ASE. The other four (of your eight) Walkers will then cost you $15.00 each under Classic service (for coins valued under $300.00).
    Info on joining can be found on the home page.
    -Hope this information helps!

peacockcoins

• robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    So you join at the gold level for $99.
    You get four free submissions.
    The remaining 16 go in for $15 a piece.

That means you've spent $339. Divided by 20 coins means you've spent $16.95 per coin for slabbing, actually it'll be a bit more due to two way shipping.
    Is that too much? What I mean is, are your walkers crapola or are they very nice gems? If you get them graded and even a few come back with a really good grade that will more than offset the cost of slabbing, but if they come back low you'd have lost money. So figure out for yourself whether they're worth slabbing. Also you can probably sell the silver eagle you get for joining and that will make up some of it, although very little.

As for moderns, they are only $10 to slab, so if you buy in enough of a quantity to not overpay for the raw coins, it can be somewhat profitable to sell the halves at $20, although I'd never bother doing so.
  • itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Jason,
    You may have answered your own question right up front. It is not worth spending $15+ per coin to slab "AU/BU" Walkers.

Here's an idea for you. Join at the Gold $100 level. Send your nicest (most valuable in the grade you think they'll get) 4 in for free grading. Learn the results, and decide from there if it's worth your money to slab the others.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • tsacchtsacch Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭
    Ok, no one asked yet, but why slab AU walkers? Better dates I assume.
    Family, kids, coins, sports (playing not watching), jet skiing, wakeboarding, Big Air....no one ever got hurt in the air....its the sudden stop that hurts. I hate Hurricane Sandy. I hate FEMA and i hate the blasted insurance companies.
  • The short set of 41-47 Wakers I put up on the boards recently is what I am interested in slabbing. The reason for slabbing is for easy ebay sale if I want to go that route. Thanks for the comments guys.

Jason
    Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Braddick, You're confusing me with your math. Wouldn't he have 16 left to submit. Also, isn't it a Gold membership. I thought the Silver was free, though you have to pay for your submission beginning with the first coin. >>

It's not you, it's me. I was being lazy with my response and got the fundamentals right, just the particulars wrong. Looks like it's straightened out though. . .

peacockcoins

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is only my opinion, but, you are wasting your money by slabbing those coins. They are not good candidates to slab and if you are doing it for resale on ebay you will find that whatever gain you get from the slab (and this gain will be minimal as you are talking about common grade, generic coins) will be more than off-set by the slabbing fees. Think about it.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file