Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Help me grade this Morgan

Hello again!

You remember me. My dad died recently and I'm trying to get a feel for what he has. Here is one of his Morgans. Can you help me grade it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Welcome again to the board and I'm sorry for your recent loss.

Grades are difficult from a scan, but I think the grade on the image name is correct. MS-63. Too many marks for a 64 (for me) and too nice to be a 62.

Neil
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    It has a nice frosty rev with cameo contrast from a fresh die, maybe even Prooflike or DMPL but the obv is what counts. The obv die was worn brilliant so it's just a normal Mint State. I might see 64 but I feel better calling it a 63. Not much price difference anyway.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    63 looks pretty accurate, once again its difficult to grade off a scan.
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    It has a pretty good strike which is typical of early 80's San Fran dollars, but it seems to have many marks, MS63 maybe 62, definitely not a 64. ...but then you already have it labelled MS63

Go to my site(Coin Grader) below, I have a lot of info for newbies on grading Morgans.

• Options
    ms63 I'm in the same boat with you coin daughter. My father died this year,March 20th, and he left me his coins but it has been a joy going through them seeing some I had seen in the past and seeing some that I never knew he had.
    For me-collecting coins for fun.For my children-their future.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file