Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Reprinted Proof/Mint Set Envelopes.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
there have been threads regarding sealed proof and mint sets from time to time. no doubt there are still some about, but by and large i figure most sets have been opened and at least given a cursory inspection.

today i was down at the local shop touching base with my pal and i mentioned this same thing to him. in a quick swivel of his chair he wheeled around and back to hand me a stack of early 60's dated envelopes, nice and fresh, looking hot off the presses which in fact they were!!!image he remarked that the color was off a bit but a few days/weeks in the sunlight and they'd fade. i don't know about anyone else, but it changes the way i'll look at an auction for "still sealed" "unopened" "fresh from the mint 40 years ago" proof and mint sets.

BTW, i did get a nice raw 72 silver Ike with gold and blue tone and a raw 75 proof jefferson, so the trip wasn't a washout.

al h.image

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Ask Marty about those freshly printed envelopes.image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hey don

your thread was part of the reason i posted mine. here it isjust a few weeks after this was discussed with the auction link and all and i'm seeing the stuff in a coin shop. makes me feel a little naive. i wonder if my old buddy-old pal at the shop has been totally on the up and up with me in all our dealings?

al h.image
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    I got a few more 1964 Unopened proof sets in, these envelopes didn't have a zip code on them. If they had the check for cameos they missed an AH Kennedy!!!image
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    Marty, you're killing me. I bought 10 more today too, from the same seller. I hope he checked mine like he did yours.image
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Personally, I have a hard time believing anyone has gone this long without viewing their mint/proof sets. The only way I'll believe it is if it is still in the mint packaging and the mailed box is unopened. I see all these auctions for unopened ones and I cannot believe it. Just too fishy. The two things I stay away from on ebay are unopened items (not in the original mailed box) and raw coins. Been burned on raw coins enough finally this year (talk about throwing your money down the paper shredder) to not do it again from ebay (unless the reward is worth the risk). Haven't been burned on sets, but I've only gotten a few. Not worth the "premium" for "unopened" ones.

Neil
  • Options
    Neil,

I agree, and most of the time I try to find the sleepers at 6-8 bucks per set. If I stumble onto a nice coin, I assume it to be good furtune, kinda like opening a fortune cookie. Fortunately like Marty observed, usually the sets seem to be searched only for cameo coins, usually halves. The pennies are sometimes the gems, and the toned nickels really are fun, but once in a while you really do find unopened killer coins. I believe my odds are sometimes better there than at the local dealer. Keets made a great point. Dealers usually are savvy enough to really search.

BTW - Keets, my PM doesn't work from home. PM me your email address.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    I also look at what the seller normally sells. If they aren't a coin dealer, the odds of them actually being unnopened are much better. I picked up ten sets from a seller that had almost no history with coins - mostly just nick-nacks - and found four beautiful DCAM Kennedys and four beautiful DCAM Roosevelts.

But, as everyone has already pointed out, the odds are long; very long.

Russ, NCNE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file