Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

So what is the problem? PCGS vs NGC

stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
Recent thread with so many replys I haven't been able to read. About pcgs vs ngc. If you buy ngc for less and sell for less, and you buy pcgs for more and it sells for more In a way it all works out the same. So what is the problem all about? I stopped reading recent thread when people started getting in to it AGAIN!!!

stman
Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good point....

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    I personally see no problem. I don't care who slabs the coin, as long as I like it.
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dave

You came to the right conclusion and saved yourself some reading.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem, Stman, is that some people have strongly held views about things and like to express them. Like me, who have a strongly held view that we should NOT have any strongly held views about any such matter because the marketplace is too dynamic and hard to predict for the future.

Anyway, thanks for starting this all over again. Now I need to go hurt myself! image

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>.

Anyway, thanks for starting this all over again. Now I need to go hurt myself! image

EVP >>

LOLimage
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah, i read that through and came to the conclusion of different strokes for different folks.

BTW, well put EVP.

al h.image
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    I have both PCGS and NGC coins in my collection. These are the only 2 services that I deal with.
    If you pick one over the other and only buy their coins I think you are doing yourself a disservice.

I truly believe that PCGS grades coins a little stricter than does NGC.
    This dosen't make them right or wrong. I buy coins that I like no matter who slabbed it.
    There are some really good bargins in NGC slabs if you pick the right coins. I try to only buy coins that I think would make the grade in either slab.

I buy the coin first and then the slab it comes in.

-----------

etexmike
  • Options
    What that means is that you cannot expect to find bargains in PCGS slabbed coins. That, in turn, reduces the available number of good buys in coins IMHO. That also means there is not much leeway to price PCGS coins so it will remain with "elite" collectors. Not my cup of tea. image
    Recommended reading - The PCGS Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection and The Coin Collector's Survival Manual and NCI Grading Guide
    For the Morgan collectors - The Morgan and Peace encyclopedia by Van Allen and Mallis

What would your slabbed coins be worth if the grading services went out of business? What would your coins be worth if the Internet was taken offline for good?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file