Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Reporting from the NY ANA show........

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
My report from ANA show........

Attendance is down from Atlanta ANA show which had 20,000 in attendance.......

NY ANA had approximately 14,000 so far according to two ANA officials.

This flies in the face of the apprearance of the show which seemed very well attended, at least today. I suspect this is so since the dealer bourse areas were much tighter packed than previously. The NY weather has also been well into the 90's everyday which probably does not help attendance. The dealers comments ranged from "good" to "exceeded our most optimistic hopes."

I polled 50 dealers just to make sure. The coin market's strength may also have something to do with the overall positive dealer commentary..........
A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't able to attend the show but I did send some coins I no longer wanted with a dealer friend of mine to see how he would do. I tried selling the same group of coins at the pre-ANA a week earlier. Since they didn't sell then, I'd have to agree that they were either too pricey or too average for the grade. At the ANA, 11 of the 20 coins sold to 3 of the nation's leading dealers. 5 of them were NGC coins too. My friend indicated that they were "in need of material." Several of the PCGS coins were priced above GS ask and sold. They were nice for the grade too (64+). Curiously, one NGC coin that a particular dealer passed on the pre-ANA, he bought at the ANA. Some of the pieces were priced higher than at pre-ANA too. Still sold. Have to admit that all of the NGC coins were priced under GS bid by 2-25% but that was more due to the fact they weren't that nice.

What didn't sell? Deeply toned PCGS or NGC coins even though the mint luster was there and obvious. Some dipped NGC coins. ANY PCGS coin that wasn't dark, sold....dipped or not. Then again, none of my PCGS coins were misgrades either. All these coins were taken to Baltimore and did not sell. While the prices aren't much if any higher now, the demand is certainly greater.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
    oreville,

I attended the ANA in Atlanta and in NY and would have never guessed attendance was DOWN....if anything I felt like it was up.

Those narrow aisles sure do make a difference.image

The show was great and I think most dealers were happy also.

Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
    WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file