Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Jeff nickel legislation update

I just got the 8-12-2002 CW in the mail a few hours ago. On the front page
there is an article about legislation mandating Thomas Jefferson and Monticello
stay on the nickel. However, the article says it doesn't have to be the current versions.
CW says this issue was mailed on July 30. I thought the VA congr. delegation saw to it
that the Jefferson nickel would stay exactly the way it is for years to come. There might be
some changes to the nickel afterall.

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    NO! It's not over yet. The House passed the legislation but it's now in the Senate (where I hope it gets shot down in flames). I would urge everyone to contact their Senators to express their views. If this passes, every coin will become a target for special interests who want a certain image to be perpetuated. The bill is S.2772, The American 5-Cent Coin Design Continuity Act of 2002.

Web sites of every Senator, sorted by state. You can contact your senators through their web sites.
    Text of legislation (not very long)

And I find the inclusion of a Coin Design Advisory Committee in the bill to be the height of hypocracy - one part of the bill mandates certain designs on the 5-cent coin, while the other establishes a committee that is supposed to advise the Secretary of the Treasury on design issues! I guess they'll save time since they won't have to discuss the design of the 5-cent coin.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file