Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

ANA NEW YORK!!!

rkfishrkfish Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭
Sorry guys and gals for the delay but NY and the show were BUSY! I met Larry (PQPeace) in Atlanta on Tuesday evening at 8pm and we flew together to NY and arrived at 1145pm. My first trip to NY and my first rip-off happened as soon as we took a cab. Larry and myself ask the driver how much to the hotel and he says $25 so we jump in and when we arrive at the hotel at 1230am I hand the driver $30....he says $45....oh well arguement pursued but to make it short he got paid and I learned a lesson real quick. The next morning, day 1, we hit the floor running and headed for the Marriott. First stop, Mike Casper as Larry had two coins Mike wanted and Mike had two Larry wanted so the deal was made. Not quite 10am so Larry and I take off for the hotel the B&M viewing was in (can't remember name) and view all the Morgan and Peace dollars and place bids on eleveen....win just one. Prices continue to be strong for these two series. We headed back to the Marriott and hit the bourse for the rest of the day....let me just say it was extremely crowded and narrow between rows, hard to stop and look and when you did you were getting bumped around a bit. I can only speak for Morgan and Peace dollars in which there were few PQ coins available. I think Larry bought six for the show and none for me (did sell one though). I'm at a point with my Peace dollar collection where the dates/grades and quality are tough to find. We did find two very PQ dollars, one Morgan and one Peace that you couldn't buy any where near sheet...an 80-s in 68 and a 27-s in 65....both were PQ coins. It'll be interesting to see/hear if anyone else saw these.

Larry and I were taken to dinner Wednesday evening after the show by Leo Frese and Larry Abbott of Heritage Rare Coins in the Renniansonce (sp) hotel overlooking Times Square. We enjoyed a wonderful view, dinner and great conversation! These two guys are first class and work for a first class company! The dinner and conversation were worth the trip alone! Thanks Leo and Larry!

Day 2 (Thursday) we hit the bourse at 10am. Didn't seem as busy or as crowded as Wednesday. PQ coins and deals were very tough to find. Larry bought a very nice 34d for what I thought was a stealimage and one other Morgan. We left the show about 530pm and crashed at the hotel. The show was a good one for us but I think the market is definately continueing it's upward trend and the quality PQ coins are continueing there trend....getting tougher to find.

One things for sure....I never thought I could be so tired at the end of two days....

I'm sure Larry will add all that I missed so stay tuned....image

Edited to say: talked briefly with GSAGUY and saw several other board members but was very difficult to stop and talk due to the crowd and the narrow aisles.
Steve

Check out my PQ selection of Morgan & Peace Dollars, and more at:
WWW.PQDOLLARS.COM or WWW.GILBERTCOINS.COM

Comments

• Options
    Hey RKFish, Thanks for the report. It's nice to know we have a fellow South Carolinian at the big show. Enjoy and be safe.
    For me-collecting coins for fun.For my children-their future.
  • Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    Steve pretty much said it all.

I REALLY wanted to buy a very nice 1927s Peace Dollar in pcgs ms 65.
    I offered ASK without hesitation.
    I was turned down,and was told the price was 3500.00 over ask.
    The dealer wants to send it in until it hits a 66.
    Good luck to him.

Yes it takes money to assamble a great set..as I have said before image
    But it also takes alot of time and energy also.

Thousands of air miles,hotel bills,worn out tennis shoes etc.
    It is worth it for sure if you ask me !

I am still in Sarasota..played a great tennis match today on a clay court for the first time !
    Will be home monday and back to the grind.

One last comment.
    Nice coins ..at least Morgans and Peace Dollars CAN NOT BE BOUGHT at Greysheet at shows and auctions.
    The prices are going wild.
    The greysheet is way behind.
    That is why it bothers me to try and sell my extras on Ebay and hardly ever get bids near sheet.
    These buyers really don't have a clue where the market is and where it is going.

SQ coins..rather than PQ coins can be purchased below sheet every day !
    That is pretty much what sells on Ebay.

SQ is my new term for SH***Y QUALITY.

Look forward to more responses to Steve's thread.
    Larry

Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15
  • Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not that this really matters, but from JFK airport to anywhere in Manhattan there is a flat rate of something like $45. From LaGuardia airport, it's whatever the meter says. If you arrived at JFK, I think you may have mis-heard the driver. Most of them speak English with a heavy accent...

BTW, the flat rate should be posted at many places, including at the taxi pickup location and in the rear cabin inside the taxi.

EVP

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options
    EVP,

No it really doesn't now....live and learn. We were approached by a gentleman who asked us if we needed a cab before we got to the taxi cab stand and we said "yes" and asked what the fee was to our hotel...twice, and Larry and I heard the same thing.image
    Steve

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the report guys. I was in NYC for the first time in my life last month. Two taxi drives through Manhatten were more thrilling than any roller coaster ride I have every taken. We were just happy to arrive safely, price was not our concern. image
  • Options
    RK,

In that case, you need not have paid him anything. He has no legal recourse, since what he did was illegal. Livery car drivers are NOT ALLOWED to troll for customers in the same way as a yellow taxi. If you were an undercover cop, he could get his license pulled for what he did.

EVP

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    baseball, we almost had a knife fight between our driver and another back from ground zero to 42nd st. I can understand it however, if I had to drive all day long there I would be more nusto than I am now. Guess this is off topic so I'll hush.
  • Options
    Welcome to New York. We are a city of immense passion and energy.

EVP

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't feel bad. My best friend ionce took a cab in Mexico City in which another cab driver took a disliking to my firends cab and shot the cab driver dead and then for kicks shot the back window out just to terrify my friend. Now THAT is a city of passion and nutsiness.

My report on ANA NY just to move my post over to here is:

Attendance is down from Atlanta ANA show which had 20,000 in attendance.......

NY ANA had approximately 14,000 so far according to two ANA officials.

This flies in the face of the apprearance of the show which seemed very well attended, at least on Saturday. I suspect this is so since the dealer bourse areas were much tighter packed than previously. The NY weather has also been well into the 90's everyday which probably does not help attendance. The dealers comments ranged from "good" to "exceeded our most optimistic hopes."

I polled 50 dealers just to make sure. The coin market's strength may also have something to do with the overall positive dealer commentary..........

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    EVP,

I am State Law Enforcement Officer.....to bad I wasn't undercover.image

Live and learn.image

oreville,

won't be visiting Mexico....not in a cab anyway!
    Steve

• Options
    PQpeacePQpeace Posts: 4,799 ✭✭✭
    At least the taxi driver was our only bad experience...everything else went well.
    Larry
    Larry Shapiro Rare Coins - LSRC
    POB 854
    Temecula CA 92593
    310-541-7222 office
    310-710-2869 cell
    www.LSRarecoins.com
    Larry@LSRarecoins.com

PCGS Las Vegas June 24-26
    Baltimore July 14-17
    Chicago August 11-15

Leave a Comment