Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How would you grade this 1920-D walker?

darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
I was thinking of selling this one and I was hoping for some help on grading it as there is some big price differences in grades. This ain't my series but I am guessing very-fine. thanks mike
    20-D obverse
      reverse

Comments

• Options
        nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
        My guess is VF/EF. Need to see it up close to tell more.
      • Options
        IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
        very fine is defined in Photograde as: all skirt lines will show (1921-1947). The body will be well rounded and the breast will be outlined.(I am not making this up). On the reverse all wing feathers will show. Breast will be worn smooth. It looks F-12 by the scan, i.e. half of the breast feathers show.
      • Options
        ARCOARCO Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
        Looks VF30 - XF. Most sellers on Ebay would call that a XF/AU. image

I talked to a dedicated walker collector some months back asking about the nuances of grading walkers. He mentioned that the earlier dates in the series were a tad weaker in the strikes.

I sold this one as a VF30 on Ebay.

1916-S VF30
      • Options
        On behalf of accugrade, I would like to give this coin a grade of MS-67. Thanks for your time.
      • Options
        Well so far We have from F-12 to AU. That's from being worth $30-$700. I know it's not worth $700 and I know it's worth more than $30. Mike image
      • Options
        ARCOARCO Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
        Darktone - It is not a fine, It is not AU. If you put up a nice Large scan on Ebay, call it XF40 and let the bidding begin it will gravitate towards what dedicated collectors know is the grade.

Mt bet is that it will sell for mid one hundreds to high one hundreds $130-$180.00 on Ebay

1920-D example 1

1920-D Example 2

Example 3 - Give me a break!!

Example one didn't sell. Definitely not XF
        Example two is a FUGLY fine
        Example three- Ebay overgrading!

Ebay Walkers are overgraded by a full grade about 90 percent of the time. Key dates 99%image

Tyler
      • Options
        IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
        Mike obviously there are different grading standards or pre 1921 WLH's. If you think it will slab XF then it's worth the money to slab, if not let the market determine the price.
      • Options
        ARCO- thanks I can't believe those coins you linked have been graded that high! I guess I should have no problem selling mine for a decent price. thanks mike
      • Options
        From the scan provided, the coin is a FINE "18." The back is all there for VF+, but as is common for the series, the breast plate on the right is not quite complete, and most people will balk at paying full VF money.
        Will Rossman
        Peak Numismatics
        Monument, CO
      • Options
        morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
        Forget what the crooks on Ebay are saying about their coins. Your coin is much too nice to be F, and not nearly nice enough to be XF. A perfect example of VF condition. Skirt-line rules do not apply for coins prior to 1922.
        I collect circulated U.S. silver

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
      Emoji
      Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
      Drop image/file