Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Does anyone collect bust half dimes here?

mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

--------T O M---------

-------------------------

Comments

• Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Wow nice coin. I take it is totally original which in and of its self would be amazing for a coin of this age and worth the money. Personally I would not buy it since I am a copper kind of guy but certainly a very nice coin and would be a nice type addition to any collection.
  • Options
    Nice Coin!!!!!! I used to have a pretty good accumulation of Seated Half Dimes, but I never spent the $$$$ to acquire the older and more popular Bust halves. Looks like a fair price, but not a bargain. If you decide to bid on it, I wish you luck!!!image
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    I'm just starting to dabble in them. . .by die variety and not that high a grade.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why this is in the ballpark for a 64 coin it does appear to be missing luster in the obverse fields and on Liberty's face. These 2 factors along with hairlines or scattered chatter is what separates 64's from 65's
    and nice 64's from low end 64's. There are 64's out there with FULL luster and in my opinion those are better values even if they cost $150-200 more. A fully lusterous and PQ piece is worth $1200+ wholesale. And that's probably a better value than a skunky $1500 PCGS or NGC MS65.

The scan could be off but my experience tells me that the luster is very weak or severely broken on much of the obverse. The reverses on these have relatively protected fields so you often see MS65 and 66 reverses on 63 and 64 coins (they almost always have full field luster).

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Hi mrdq. I'm a half dime collector too. Your 1829 bust half dime is attractive.

If you aspire to building an entire set of half dimes (early through seated), there will be times of extreme frustration. There are MANY very rare dates throughout the various Half Dime series. However, if you are only collecting "Bust" Half dimes, it will be a less difficult, though still noble undertaking.

In the bust half dime series, look for opportunity in "rare" varieties that can be found within certain bust half dime dates, that are NOT priced into the coin. This will require STUDY on your part, but that will be a FUN undertaking. Check out the book Federal Half Dimes, by Logan & McCloskey. It is an excellent source on this series. All the best.

matteproof

Remember Lots Wife
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I, too, collect half dimes, although not that high of grade. I'm about 80% finished with bust/Seated Liberty and I have no early half dimes at all. I'm looking for a nice 1802 in MS-65image If you are interested in some lower-grade seated half dimes of better dates, send me a PM and I'll see what I can do.

Tom
    Tom

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file