Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1865 Indian in ms-70....right

Is this false advertising or what? 1865 Indian Can someone please teach this guy how to grade a coin.

Comments

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Well some things are just impossible image
  • Options
    Pretty coin...MS70... no chance in heck. At least he will refund your money when you receive the coin and verify that it is not in MS70 condition. He probably just saw the term used, and thought it would attract more bidders.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Wow. He has not just 1 but 2 MS65 1886-O Morgans, an MS70 Indian Cent, a Trade dollar he describes as an AU that will grade MS60, and more!

I think he deserves questions from us forum members. I sent him/her three.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options

I love that 86-O Morgan in MS65! Probably pushing AU-53 if he is lucky!

How do people so unknowledgeable about coins feel comfortable putting a grade on a coin.

Has anyone emailed this guy yet? I hate doing that, but appreciate it when others do.

JJacks

Always buying music cards of artists I like! PSA or raw! Esp want PSA 10s 1991 Musicards Marx, Elton, Bryan Adams, etc. And 92/93 Country Gold AJ, Clint Black, Tim McGraw PSA 10s
  • Options
    I'd like to see his response to your questions
  • Options
    PushkinPushkin Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭

Darn, if it were an MS70 RD IHC I'd buy it, but it looks like just a typical, common MS70 BN Indian (maybe I should take off my sunglasses?).image

Anybody want to buy some flying pigs - cheap?image
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    It may be a proof, which would account for the "perfect" condition he feels it's in. The reverse strike certainly looks prooflike even with the mellowed tone. Tough to make out the rim.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    Reply to my e-mail on how lucky he is to have 2 MS65 1886-O Morgans... he appears not to realize I'm dogging him yet.

<< <i>I actually have 4 of those and 6 1878 7T.F. When i first starting to collect I was just buying everything and not realizing to buy the key dates only or the ones that are tuff to get like this one, I dont know where your from but the 2 dealers I buyu from most of the time have alot of trouble getting this coin espically on a daily basis >>

Reply to my e-mail asking why he doesn't bother to spend $30 to authenticate & grade the $250,000 coin.

<< <i>I never go buy the book I always use the coin shops gray sheet, They told me that the coin is MS-65 several collectors looked at it, If I dont sell it I will keep it for later in life. >>

Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    You've got to be kidding me...this is a joke. This guy is really really dumb or he thinks he can really rake someone over the coals. Damn!!!image
    THE C0IN HUNTER:

WANTED: I need these coins

Always looking for PCGS buffs, 1917 SLQs, and pre-1933 GOLD.

Check my want list above!!!
  • Options
    cachemancacheman Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if he's physically close enough to poke him in the eye and see if he feels it. All indicators point towards a null response.
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    He has nice enough/key date enough coins that he is not a complete neophyte making honest mistakes. He expects to be paid at least top dollar for the coins he is sell--seeing as how he knows the lingo, etc.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    Maybe he/she is a third party grader from one of those bottomfeeder grading companies???
    For me-collecting coins for fun.For my children-their future.
  • Options
    I wonder which collectors told him it was ms-65? Still, why would he then even attempt to pawn it off as a 70 coin?
  • Options
    Does this coin look familiar.Yahoo Link Don't tell me this guy has the same coin for sale at both sites.
  • Options
    LOL he has all of them listed both on Yahoo and Ebay, I wonder if he gets a bid on both sites, who gets the coin?
  • Options
    Kinda reminds me of the MS-70 term QVC bounces around...all the time!!
    USPI minimalist design collage
    designset
    Treasury Seals Type Set
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually like the looks of this cent and had the seller been more honest with his approach would probably place a bid. I'm sure others would feel the same way.

peacockcoins

• Options
    He will just cancel the auction with the lowest bids! But look, no bids anywhere.image
    USAF VET. 1964 -1968
    Proud of America!

I Have NO PCGS Registry Sets!
  • Options
    No competent grading service will give that coin better than XF 45.

I doubt that ACG would give it more than 65
    History always repeats itself. Humans are slow learners.
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Pushkin, I HAVE seen a flying pig----at a Pink Floyd concert in Munich. So don't tell me they don't exist.

As for the penny in question, I haven't seen it in person, so I can't tell if it will make the MS-60 grade or not. Wait, everybody, maybe it's 3" in diameter, in which case it could be in "mint condition"!!!

Sounds like the seller hasn't heard of the PCGS Anti-Fraud Squad. Poor guy.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options

Dear 1Jester,

Please exept my apologies, as I grow old my knowledge of my ignorance is becoming unbounded. Sorry about the error.
    Was the pig a jet or a turbo-prop pig?image
  • Options
    Here is reply given to me by this Yahoo to a respectful $70 offer. "It's pretty obvious you have no clue.I made a mistake on listing the coin.I have had private offers for the coin already so $90 (I said $70,retail redbook MS60) isa complete insult.The coin is perfect(cough,cough)under 16X.there is not a single bad mark nor a scratch". My reply was not as nice as my offer,but still civil.Bid away now,guys ad gals, image
  • Options
    Pushkin, well the pig wasn't a "bear"/smokey (although they were in abundance). I can't tell you about its form of locomotion, but there was also a flying bed, which was on fire, and it crashed on stage. And some flying guy. Well, interesting to say the least. Maybe the best concert I've ever been to. 1988. Still trying to track down that elusive floating porker.

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>At least he will refund your money when you receive the coin and verify that it is not in MS70 condition >>

Considering the state of his feedback - ZERO - I wouldn't be counting on that. This one has scam written all over it.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options

Deat 1Jester, I just wanted to know if the pig (pig, hog, boar - member of the mammal family Suidae) was self-propelled, or was flying as the result of some external means of propulsion, such as a very large rubber band?

Winston Churchill would be shocked? Inquiring, but decaying minds want to know.
  • Options
    Well I have to agree with some of you, His grading does look way off,
    But we all are not the graders we seem to be ..
    Note all the times I have put a conterfiet coin on here to grade and all who responded Graded it image

Just a thought image
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    The seller's ridulous tactics and descriptions not withstanding, I like this coin on its own merits. The newer Yahoo image does make it look like a business strike fancy 5 and not a proof, but from what's provided in the images it compares favorably to this one for example. The depth and preservation of the shield and denomination (again, from what can be made out in the image) is what I noticed first about it. It looks MS65BN to me, and a nice one at that. The 1908-S he's selling as UNC is rubbed flat in the lower hair curl & ribbon, but by his standards I guess UNC is about right.
  • Options
    Pushkin, you're asking me if it was real?! Sorry, but under the circumstances, do you think you'd be able to separate fact from fiction? Most probably man-made, but part of an excellent show.

The penny is actually nice, I agree.

imageimage
    .....GOD

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file