Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Friends, I have a scanner, the Franklin PR68

I Finally bought a scanner, in hope of selling these coins.

The franklin is great looking, but this scan image of it doesn't do it justice, but surely shows the surfaces in living color.

Heres the pics:
1957 Franklin PR68 Front
1957 Franklin PR68 Back

1957 Franklin PR68 Full size Front
1957 Franklin PR68 Full Size Back

I need some feedback. Im using a Visioneer OneTouch 8920 USB scanner.

I want to get your opinions before I goto ebay and sell these coins.

I will post the quarter and penny soon, it just takes a while to crop, and resize images.

thanks yall. image

Robert
You want fries with that?

Comments

• Options
    Hey yall, could someone respond? I would appreciate it, since Im wondering if this scanner is worth keeping.

thanks

Robert
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    Looks okay, but a digital camera would get rid of the reflection. Is the coin slabbed or do you just grade it PR68? I am interested in it either way so PM me how much also.

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Morris,

Coin looks slabbed to me.

Robert,

Morris is right; digital camera would be better. Send it to me, I'll make it look the most beautiful Franklin on eBay.image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    The scans look fine. I am glad you posted this. I am a proof grading dummy so I appreciate seeing the coin is great detail. Nice coin, I have a 53 and 54 franklin that maybe would get a Cam. I want to sell them so I was thinking of getting them slabbed. However both have the same what I call bubbles in the fields. I thought this would be death to a grade but apparently not. Shows what I know about proof coins. Are hair lines common for 50's Franklin proofs. My 54 has quite a few but only visible under magnification. You photos look like the coin has some but I assume they are actually on the plastic and not the coin. Keep the scanner. What kind is it? Microtek? HP?

• Options
    It's slabbed ICG PR68.

I appreciate the offer Russ. image

The holder has scratches on it, of course(what holder doesn't?)
    The only thing I see on the coin is a cloth hairline on Franklins cheek, and haze in the fields.

Heres more detailed pics:
    1957 Franklin PR68 Holder
    Pic 1 Front
    Pic 2 Front
    Pic 3 HUGE 350k On this pic, the line on the mouth, is not on the coin, some holder abnormality, as well as the marks. This scanner picks up stuff better than my eye can! image The smudge by the 'E' at the bottom is on the holder. You should be able to see a faint up/down hairline just below the dimple in his face, which is on the coin. I believe it was from them back then wiping the coins down and a hair got left on the planchet when it was pressed.

Pic 1 Back
    Pic 2 Back HUGE 540k
    ADDIN: Sorry for bad link, this pesky case sensitive server image
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

clackamas;; the scanner is a 'Visioneer 8920 OneTouch USB'

The editing software it comes with is 'PhotoShop Elements'

Robert
  • Options
    Compressed into upper post.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file