Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

For those holding on to '71 Topps to grade, check this out!

Now that the grading special is back, here is the list of the least-often submitted cards for 1971 Topps. If you have some of these in submittable condition, you might want to send them off. The set registrants will thank you!

Number graded, #card number, (player name)

6, #349 (Rich Reese)
6, #294 (Steve Dunning)
6, #417 (Dick Hall)
6, #281 (Danny Walton)
6, #373 (Tom McCraw)
6, #352 (Denny Doyle)
6, #320 (Dave McNally)
6, #346 (Lum Harris MG)
6, #274 (Ron Slocum)
6, #381 (Fred Gladding)
5, #362 (Orioles Rookies Mike Adamson Roger Freed)
5, #398 (Howie Reed)
5, #309 (Dick Ellsworth)
3, #206B (Checklist 3 - ORANGE HELMET)
3, #619D (Checklist 6 - NO LINE ON HELMET BRIM)
3, #351 (Jim Shellenback)
1, #123C (Checklist 2 - #'s CENTERED)
1, #306B (Jim Nash - VARIATION)

Comments

• Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    jrinck-Thanks for this post. I have some 71's that I am going to be sending in and this information will be really helpful. In your opinion what are the toughest singles to find in PSA 7 or better.
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    Thanks, aro13,

One thing I've noticed about the '71s, and this probably holds true for other sets of the era, is that a very large percentage of commons can be found in PSA 8 or above. This is most likely due to the fact that the market value of '71 commons isn't really attractive, grading-wise, unless the card is an 8 or above.

So what you really should do is focus on the cards that haven't been submitted in high quantity, as there's probably a reason why. For example, the pop report currently shows only three (3) Jim Shellenback cards graded. (There are actually 4, as Zardoz recently sent me one that's looks to be a lock-on for a 6 and it's being graded as we speak.) Why only 4 Shellenbacks, 3 of which are 8's, and 19 Carl Taylor's (#353) with 13 8's and one 9? They're both commons. Is there something about the Shellenback that made it's condition come from the factory worse than most other commons which has resulted in very few submission?

We may never know. But what we do know is that if you submit a #351 Jim Shellenback and #353 Carl Taylor, and both come back 8's, you'll get a load more money for the Shellenback than the Taylor.
  • Options
    That's because the Shellenbacks are horribly centered. I mean butt ugly!!!!!!!

I have a copy that is lovely, dripping with gloss, 4 sharp, sharp corners, and a very light touch on one corner. A lock on an 8.

The catch is it's waaaaaaaay off center. One day I'll find a decent copy,......one day

It's out there! I just have to beat kmas and the "Doc" to it.

THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    I wouldn’t be surprised at all to see it being Steve having the next Sheellenback well centered 8/9 graded…. But you really know you’ve come to a point on this set when you keep an eye out for a high grade Nash Black Blob variation. Here’s and another little known undocumented variation from the set a dealer showed me at the National. #85 Billy Grabarkewitz has an ultra rare yellow sun variation, more common is the red dot or sun left of his cap.
  • Options
    Wouldn't you know it, I have the red spot Grabarkewitz.

But here's a little known Jim Northrup splotch variation. Not sure which is rarer, splotch or no splotch.

• Options
    acowaacowa Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Jrink,

You guys had me worried about submitting some of my 1971's with the special. I ended up getting all 8's on the 5 that I sent in. I have to tell you that it is absolute agony trying to "pre-grade" 1971's. Small touches that cause 8's on my 1967's end up causing 7's on 1971's. I think it's the single toughest issue to grade accurately and consistently. I would not want to grade 1971's for a living.

Regards,

Alan
  • Options
    I'll have to submit the Shellenback on my next submission. I haven't pulled it out of the safe yet but I do have it marked off on my checklist as being NM-MT or better. image

Alan - Grading '71s will definitely cause you to pull your hair out. If you go into it by submitting vending quality material, never expecting to receive a 9 and hoping to get 75% 8's at best, then you'll be fine.
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my 1971 Shellenback. It's nicely centered but I worry a bit about too much white showing on the border around the upper right corner. Definitely not a 9 and I'd give it a 75% shot at an 8.

• Options
    sixdartsixdart Posts: 821 ✭✭
    One thing I've noticed about the '71s, and this probably holds true for other sets of the era, is that a very large percentage of commons can be found in PSA 8 or above. This is most likely due to the fact that the market value of '71 commons isn't really attractive, grading-wise, unless the card is an 8 or above.

- jrinck

I agree. I saw a collector offer a stack of '71 Topps PSA 7s (40-50 count) to a couple of dealers and the most the would offer him was $4 each. They apologized for the low offer, however, the did mention that there was no real mark-up for them in that grade.
  • Options
    My buy price for common 7's has been $6.00. This is from private sales. Sometimes I would get them for less on Ebay.

So it doesn't surprise me the dealers were only offering $4.00 each. I remember winning an auction for a whole bunch at $4.95
    each.

One day they'll be worth more, and a whole slew of new 7's will appear. I should be done with my set by then, though, hopefully!
  • Options
    gemint

I think that you are going to get whacked for the chipping on the right hand side (IMHO). The only way to find out is to submit it and I hope that you get that 8. That is certainly the nicest centering wise that I have seen.
  • Options
    Guys,

So what does a common 8 go for on the market??????

Matt
  • Options
    zardoz - I agree, there is a fair amount of chipping on the right side. I've received 8's on worse cards though. But with PSA's tougher standards, it very well could get a 7. I also noticed after posting the scan that the card is also a tiny bit short left to right but it may have been from vending. It should meet the minimum size requirement.

Gator - 71s are a wierd animal. The prices can vary greatly. It all comes down to population and timing. I haven't been following the '71 auctions lately since I'm focusing on the 69 set but I've seen PSA 8 commons range from $7-$8 all the way up to $125 (I think it was a Doc Ellis?)
    Please visit my eBay auctions at gemint
  • Options
    Yep, Doc Ellis #2 was the Holy Grail of 71 commons. Since then, quite a few (7) have come to the forefront and I think that all the top set buiders have it now..so it's a cheapie! LOL