Home U.S. Coin Forum

1889 CC Dollar report (don't get excited)

mrdqmrdq Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭
the facts:
he (not she) has uncirculated Morgans
he has some from CC
he has some 1889's
he does NOT HAVE an 1889 CC in MS+ condition.

This nice old gentleman used to own a gas station / sporting goods store and saved all the "odd" coins that he came across. Funny thing here is at the time Merc's and Walkers were the circulation coins and not "odd" enough for him to save hehe. He saved Morgans, barbers and stuff like that.

He's now REALLY old and had his nephew's daughter call me and make the arrangements. Somewhere in the conversation he was trying to tell her that he had better get the coins "looked at" because he saw that an uncirculated 1889 CC dollar sold at auction recently for almost $100,000. She messed up and thought he had one of those.

He has some nice coins, a few of them worth $2-$500 dollars most are vf-xf common dates. I'm going to work up a price sheet for him and let him decide what to do.

Standard recommendations apply, I told him
1. give them to your grandkids (he doesn't have any though)
2. sell them at auction on the internet (he doesn't have a compter)
3. sell them to a coin dealer (he knows that's not generally a good option)
4. sell them to me if he likes the price I quote, if not, take the price sheet and see option #3.

breif interruption.. my 8 year old just came in and wanted the REAL scoop on the tooth fairy... she wants to know if it's really my wife and I that put the money under the pillow. She said SANTA is the only person that can fly so the whole tooth fairy story must be a scam. LOL

ok.. coins..

He only brought the Dollars today and he'd like me to look at the rest of the coins and give my opinion so when that comes up i'll pass on any decent finds.

Thanks for the Private Messages and advice on what to do with any coins of great value that I find, i'll apply the advice that I received if that diamond in the rough ever really does show up at my door.

tom

--------T O M---------

-------------------------

Comments

• moursundmoursund Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report!

(Hey, where are those cones? Is that YOU in that icon? image )

am
    100th pint of blood donated 7/19/2022 B) . Transactions with WilliamF, Relaxn, LukeMarshal, jclovescoins, braddick, JWP, Weather11am, Fairlaneman, Dscoins, lordmarcovan, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, JimW. God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so believeth in him should not perish but have everlasting life.
  • lathmachlathmach Posts: 4,720
    If that icon is a pic of you, mrdq, I'd hire some cute young girls to work the Dairy Queens, and only go there at night after they were closed. No sense in scaring away customers.

Ray

• << <i>If that icon is a pic of you, mrdq, I'd hire some cute young girls to work the Dairy Queens, and only go there at night after they were closed. No sense in scaring away customers.

Ray >>

Man that even hurt me......thanks for the report though!!! As for the conversation with your 8 year old daughter, I too have an 8 year old daughter who recently let me gently remove one of teeth as I didn't want her to swallow it when she ate. The tooth fairy was very generous and left her $10 under the pillow and left the tooth so she could show it off. Upon her return from school she informed me that the kids in her class told her about her parents being the tooth fairy. I am still working on the illusion, but I think the Jig is up!!!!image
  • FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    The tooth fairy was very generous and left her $10 under the pillow and left the tooth so she could show it off.

Ten bucks?? The Tooth Fairy only left me a quarter.. and kept the tooth! I feel I've been ripped off and I demand satisfaction! Do you think anybody would laugh if I sue the Tooth Fairy? image
    Matt

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file