Home U.S. Coin Forum

Hope this looks better in person

Based on its description, I seem to have gotten a good deal on THIS Mercury Dime, but I hope it turns out better than the scan. The scan makes it look like bad marks across the jaw. However, if the seller has not been misleading (and I really get an NCG graded 1942-D MS65 FB), then I picked it up for less than Red Book for a NON-FB example (AND THE PRICE INCLUDES SHIPPING).

Comments

• Good luck hook. I agree hopefully that scratch is on the plastic.
    For me-collecting coins for fun.For my children-their future.
  • Wow that is a good price. Sometimes bargains present themselves on Ebay. I tend to run across bargains, send in my payment, and then receive the coin only to find out that I won the right date, but wrong denominations. My most recent mistake involved a 1974-D Ike in PCGS MS65........whe I received a 1974-D Kennedy in PCGS MS65 I was suprised and had to check the auction to verify what I bid on....imageimageimage my bad, and I paid more than I should have.
  • hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    The coin arrived today. It is something of a mixed bag.

The mark that looks dark in the scan at the jaw line is some sort of flat spot from rubbing other coins, maybe "roll friction" or something similar. But with such a major blemish in such a prime focal area, I don't think the coin deserves better than MS64. It must be the luster that pushed the grade to MS65, because execpt for that blemish, the coin should be Ms66-67. Its only other problem is a few bag marks on the diagonal bands.

From a distance, it looks great, but under close inspection, it has splotchy toning. Initially, the toning looked blank, but when the light hits it just right, it is mostly megenta, except for some neat looking blue toning between 'E' and 'R' in LIBERTY.

Can anyone give me some insites into this splotchy toning? The un-toned parts of the coin look as shiny (if not more so) than a raw MS64 FSB we have that has been dipped (it's blast white, and as some have pointed out here in the forum, that is pretty much impossible to find a coin that is over 50 years old that doesn't have at least some toning). Is this kind of toning caused by a bad dip from times past or is it natural.

EDIT

In any case, I feel like the coin was a bargin for < $20.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file