Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1826 Bust Half-your thoughts

StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭
I'm looking for evaluations on this coin. How much is it worth? Is it attractive? My scanner didn't pick it very well, so use the image as a general guide. I'll describe it:

Light wear on the high points, unbroken blue toning around the rims on both sides of the coin, with orange color in the centers. Wear points are light grey. One carbon spot on the rim, to the left of the date. Lustrous surfaces on both sides, and well struck. No mentionable marks, although light hairlines are present, which is typical for Bust Halves. Hey, I also 'nailed' the variety too, as NGC actually agreed with me! (O106A).

Evaluate This Coin! Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    Nice half Strat! I'm a bit surprised it made 58, if I saw it raw, I'd have guessed 55. The toning IMO is good, doesn't APPEAR to be AT (I'm getting a little better at IDing AT, thanks to this forum.) To me, it's got nice eye appeal.

Is it for sale?
    Mark
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I bet it looks alittle darker in the scan huh.Not great eye-appeal for me but for a collector of these it could have GREAT eye-appeal.58 is high grade to me for such a date.Really nice.
    Value? Numismedia has it at $390
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Grading looks right on to me. Depending on the toning and how attractive it is (hard to tell by the scan), it could go for any where from$200 all the way up to $350. I have seen some selling in that range, that are nicely toned.
  • Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    I like the coin. Maybe a bit dark for some. I would say the market value for that coin would be in the $250 range, depending on how much someone likes the toning.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a bit dark but how can you not like bust half's?!?!?!image looks to be a totally original coin. what i wonder about a coin like that is how much of the wear came from just being shuffled around for 175 years and how much is from actual circulation? my guess is that the coin never circulated.

al h.image
  • Options
    StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭
    Well, you guys liked it more than I expected. The blue toning around the rim is quite nice, though the scan is darker than the actual coin, and didn't reproduce its luster very well. I was hoping the streaks in the orange color would give it away, as it's been retoned. It's still a pretty coin, but I haven't bought it yet, having just received it from NGC on behalf of a customer, who expects me to make an offer on it, hence my inquiry as to value. Hughesm1, I'll keep you posted if you like, just pm me if interested. The wear on the coin does suggest an AU55, but it must not have been spent but once or twice in its lifetime. Thanks for the comments, all! Wish I had more Bust Halves to share, but nice ones are hard to come by!
  • Options
    Nice coin, and I bet it looks a lot better in person. Decent grade and I agree with the others that a fair price would be in the $250 to $300 range depending on how much luster shows through the toning. Good Luck!!!
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    i wrote down my opinion B-4 viwing other comments and came up with : AU-55. nice, and with good old-fashioned toning. i like it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file