Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

SDC #2 LINCOLN MATTE PROOF REGISTRY SET SOLD

I just watched on EBAY as this set was sold individually at the Superior Auction at the ANA. Total value of the nine coins with the 15% "juice" was almost $53,000!. The 1909VDB went for a hammer price of $21,000 and a total price of $24,150. A real nice collection. Steveimage

Comments

• Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    For those who are interested, here is the detail:

1909VDB PR66RD $21,000 $24,150 . 4 bidders
    1909...... PR66RD ... 2,250 .. . 2,587 . 3
    1910...... PR66RD ... 2,250 .. . 2,587 . 8
    1911...... PR66RD ... 6,250 .. . 7,188 . 8
    1912 ..... PR66RB ... 1,300 .. . 1,495 . 10
    1913 ..... PR66RD ... 2,050 .. . 2,358 . 5
    1914 ..... PR66RD ... 4,500 .. . 5,175 . 8
    1915 ..... PR65RD ... 3,200 .. . 3,680 . 8
    1916 ..... PR66RB ... 3,200 .. . 3,680 . 8

TOTALS..... ..... ... $46,000 . $52,900

Steve image
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steve, I put in internet bids on the 1913 and the 1915, and was clipped on the auction floor. I'm glad the coins sold well, but sorry I don't have two of them!
    Doug
  • Options
    I bought the 1916 (66RB) for my Liston One set (#2 in the registry). It was the only matte proof in the auction that matched either of my sets well (I don't collect RD) and was a nice upgrade. That set is now 66RB or better except the VDB, that's a 65. I had some very capable help on the floor (thank you Joe!) who said it was one of the nicest matte proofs in the auction. So I will be selling a 1916 RB. It is now in a green PCGS 64RB holder but I will resubmit it and it should come back in a 65RB holder IMO. I bought it about 12 years ago in an NGC 65RB holder (for about $600).

Tim
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Wow nice coins and nice prices.
  • Options
    Excellent snag Tim! Congratulations.
    Doug
  • Options
    Doug, et. al......

I thought I'd fire up a matte proof Lincoln thread and see if anyone had anything new to say.

As for the 1916 MPL (PCGS 66RB) I bought a couple months ago, I put a picture on the matte proof Lincoln registry a couple days ago. The guy who helped my buy the coin took the picture before he sent it to me. Nice picture of a nice coin, a lot better than the auction house picture, check it out. The color is not as vivid as it is on the coin but the picture is really nice anyway. I will try to attach the picture here but I'm not sure I know how. If I fail check out the Liston One set on the matte proof Lincoln registry.

At any rate, "hi" everybody......

Tim Liston
  • Options
    Great idea! Did you see the 1913 in PCGS 66red on Teletrade? It didn't sell. I'm looking for one, but that one had a dark spot under the R in LIBERTY. Funny, I looked on E-Bay today, and the coin is now on E-Bay listed by North American Traders. Same coin, same spot. Same Teletrade photo!! Listed at $2,600, with a BIN of $3,000. It's a tough sell, and for someone collecting plastic.

Link
    Doug
  • Options
    I meant to tell you that your 1916 is a beauty. I have its lilac twin also, in a PCGS 66rb holder. I'll try to take a picture, although I can't seem to capture color very well.
    Doug
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO- Some of the prettiest coins in all of Numismatics are wildly toned Matte Proof early Lincolns.

peacockcoins

• Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Tim
    As a Lincoln Proof collector,I must say I'm envious.That is a real beauty.Those Matte Proofs are very tuff to locate that nice.As Doug points out most have spots.The toneing doesn't bother me in the least.
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    I've been told by others that the toning is often the same colors for the same years because of the paper they came in (and stayed in for years). That is, you can find similar toning on most toned 1916's. I don't have enough knowledge to say one way or the other.
    Doug
  • Options
    SteveSteve Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭
    Tim,
    Glad to see you post again. That 1916 of yours really looks nice. Mine is only a 64RB but I love it just the same. To realize there are only 1,050 of this coin in the whole world and you own TWO of them. Does yours have those diagnostic die polish lines above PLURIBUS on the reverse?

I really appreciate how scarce the Matte Proof Lincolns are. Because they were so unpopular when they were minted they were probably spent as money in many cases. The PCGS and NGC population/census reports on Matte Proof Lincolns that have been slabbed since 1986 show VERY slow increases each year. It supports the fact that so very few of them exist today for collectors.
    Good luck.
    Steve

• Options
    Below (I hope) is a link to the 1916 reverse. This coin is the least colorful of the set but it has some neat sea green on the obverse. The fella who took the pictures is in Chicago and the set of nine coins is in a safe deposit box in Cleveland. Oh well. I would love to post all the pictures but my camera and I can't seem to agree on how that might be accomplished. By the way I actually own three 1916's. Two (of the eight known) are 66RB, the third is being resumitted hopefully to move up a grade (to 65RB). Then you can own it. It was made about 10 years ago. Some of my Liston One set has a lot of color, the VDB and the 1915 in particular. The rest have nice color too. Doug's "paper" theory is probably right. I feel very privileged to own this set because when it comes to numismatics I am a nobody but I did take the time to put this set together many years ago. And the Liston Two set too.
  • Options
    Given the fact that I have no "real" photography equipment, nor do I know how to capture toning without blinding myself in the reflection of the slab, here is my best shot of the evening for my 1916. Since you have two, mine makes the third PR66rb.
    Doug