Home U.S. Coin Forum

YOU MAKE THE CALL 5! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

OK! It's that time again for another grading contest. Same rules as before, you get 1 point for every point you are off on the grade (i.e. if you guess MS-63 and it's MS-65, you get 2 points), and 1/2 point for missing designations (i.e. if you guess DCAM and it's CAM, etc). The person with the LOWEST total score wins, and in the event of a tie, any comments included in the guesses will be considered, or as a last resort, I will rely on a random number generator in Excel. You may only win one of these every 60 days, so if you won one of these in the last 60 days, you cannot win the prize, but you are welcome to guess for fun! The contest will end at 4:00 PM Pacific Time (7:00 PM Eastern Time) tomorrow, August 2, 2002. The PRIZE this time is a lovely uncirculated 1922 Peace Dollar! For this contest, we are going back to the classic designs of the 20th century, each one was graded by PCGS. Here they are:

#1 Obverse
#1 Reverse
#2 Obverse
#2 Reverse
#3 Obverse
#3 Reverse
#4 Obverse
#4 Reverse
#5 Obverse
#5 Reverse

Please send me a PM with your guesses, or e-mail me at jtryka@hotmail.com, as guesses posted on the open forum may give some an unfair advantage. HAVE FUN!!!

SEE RESULTS BELOW...

Comments

• CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    Hope nobody peeked at my answers that I mistakenly posted. If you did you probably got a good laugh.
  • jtrykajtryka Posts: 797
    A reminder, please send your guesses by PM or e-mail to jtryka@hotmail.com so as not to influence the guesses of others, or give anyone an unfair advantage.
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    always a fun contest to see exactly how much I DON'T know.
  • pm sent. ttt.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM sent.

al h.image
  • CalGoldCalGold Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    Nice coins by the way.
    Thanks calgold, by the way, this is one of the toughest sets I've put up in one of these contests, so I doubt anyone should be laughing at anyone elses guesses! image
  • PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    On the reverse of #4 is the scratch on the holder or the coin?
  • That scratch is on the holder, not the coin.
  • PM sent

DAN
    United States Air Force Retired And Would Do It Again.

My first tassa slap 3/3/04

My shiny cents

imageThe half I am getting rid of and me, forever and always Taken in about 1959
  • morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    Nice coins. Cool contest. Thanks.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • PM sent

Helps people with their grading skills.Love your contests, keep it up.

Pennies make dollars, and dollars make slabs!

....inflation must be kicking in again this dollar says spend by Dec. 31 2004!

Erik
  • MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    PM sent. That's a great SLQ.
  • BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    PM sent. Yep - SLQ is a stunner type coin.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    has anyone "nailed it" yet?? or even close?

some very nice coins, no doubt!
  • prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    These contests are fun and challenging. Thanks.

• darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    You all might as well give up because I think won this one.image mike
    I agree that these contests are a lot of fun, even for me since I don't get to guess! They also seem to get more responses every time, so far we are up to 23 entries with a lot of time left. And although I think this is one of the toughest contests I've had yet, one person has a leading score of 1. I guess you'll have to wait till tomorrow afternoon to see if it is Darktone! image
  • hughesm1hughesm1 Posts: 778 ✭✭
    Very nice coins, PM sent. Thanks.
    Mark
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in again............lets see how I do this time
    imageimage

• PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    TTT
  • Done!!! TTT
    A Fine is a tax for doing wrong.
    A Tax is a fine for doing good.
  • bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    My guess is sent! Nice coins!!!

Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • My guess is sent in. Tough coins to grade.
    USAF VET. 1964 -1968
    Proud of America!

I Have NO PCGS Registry Sets!
    did I win yetimage mike
  • hey!!!! it's 7:05, where are the answers?????

b.

I'll be the time keeper, so i get 1 point per minute toward winning. . . . .

B.
    A Fine is a tax for doing wrong.
    A Tax is a fine for doing good.
    Keep your shirts on! Ok, here are the results:

The actual PCGS grades are as follows:

1943-D Dime MS-66 FB
    1930 Quarter MS-63 FH
    1941 Half MS-66
    1925 Dollar MS-65
    1928 Dollar MS-62

And the winner, with a score of 1 point was clackamas, who guessed MS-66FB, MS-64 FH, MS-66, MS-65 and MS-62. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Please PM or e-mail your address so I can drop your Peace dollar in the mail. And thanks to everyone who participated and made this a fun contest!!! image
  • RLinnRLinn Posts: 596
    Congraulations, clackamas! I think I heard ACG was hiring.
    Buy the coin...but be sure to pay for it.
    This was an interesting and difficult contest, and as proof, it is the first time ever where no one guessed correctly on one of the coins. No one correctly guessed the grade on the 1930 quarter. 10 people guessed the dime and half correctly, and 13 people guessed the 1925 dollar, while only 5 guessed the 1928 dollar correctly. Here are the high and low ranges of guesses:

#1 MS-68FB, MS-63
    #2 MS-69FH, MS-63
    #3 MS-67, MS-62
    #4 MS-68, MS-63
    #5 MS-64, AU-50

And by the way, second place was Flash, with a score of 3. If any of you want your scores individually, please PM me, but given the rules, you should be able to figure it for yourselves.
  • Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    My stars!!!! That quarter is a 66 FH is as the day is long...according to the scan........MAN!!! UNREAL!!!
    Also I disagree with the Merc grade.66?Kinda scratchy looking (hairlines)to be a 66 IMO.
    The Walker seemed too dull(lackluster)to be 66.
    At risk of embarrassing myself I graded them:
    1) 64 no FSB,looked to go either way,so I said no.
    2)66FH....Thats the REAL grade....damm it.
    3)65
    4)63
    5)61

Thanks for the shot Jeff.Good man.
  • Believe me Cam, I would love to have almost any of you working for PCGS and grading that SLQ. Almost no one came in that low, but the bright side is that I bought this coin already slabbed, and I've never been so happy to pay full MS-63 price for that coin. The walker is nicely toned, and has a great strike. The merc could go either way. The two Peace dollars, well the 25 is definitely a 65, probably one of the nicest low relief Peace dollars I've seen in that grade, the 28 however is a weak 62 at best. Just my opinion, and since they are still in PCGS plastic, I will have to defer to them as the experts. image
    Hmm,Since I was tougher on grading your coins(except the SLQ) that means I,m a better grader than those
    schmucks at PCGS huh.image
    Ok,I have to ask,Would someone be so kind as to enlighten me on why the quarter only made a 63?
    I,m truly stumped.
  • bigtonydallasbigtonydallas Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭
    I did get two of the coins!

My grades were:

1- MS66 FB
    2- MS67 FH
    3- MS65
    4- MS65
    5- MS64

I THOUGHT I HIT # 1 & 3 RIGHT ON!
    Big Tony from Texas! Cherrypicking fool!!!!!!
  • Cam, tougher does not mean right! I think you are way off on the 1925 peace dollar and the Merc, but that is more likely due to the photos. I could probably be convinced on the walker and the 1928 though. As far as the SLQ, I would take the 66FH, but I think realistically it's prbably a 64FH, and maybe a 65FH on a really lucky day! So should I try to cross the SLQ at NGC?

PS-It's a common date, so I can't picture the graders getting nervous about overgrading it, especially the way they throw around MS-65s since the 1933 Saint fiasco. And it's not a huge jump in value, per Numismedia, $264 in 63 jumps to $660 in 65, and $1,660 in 66, so not likely to break the bank for anyone.
  • My first win. So now maybe I have slightly more credence with the group when complaining about PCGS grading my Lincoln's. I think I'll pass on an ACG job. Even if they gave me the company I would not take it. Thanks for the contest! A cool next contest would be some copper. Although the down side is that few if any send in anything below 64. But a few Lincoln's with some LG. cents could be tricky.

I gave the SLQ the lower grade than others, 64FH, based on my experience with St.'s. I actually gave the SLQ a bump from 63 for nice eye appeal and would have been right on had I gone with the gut on it. It has a big old mark on her lower leg, and her pelvis has some large marks. If this was a St. Gaudens those marks would doom her to a sub 65 mark all day long. I personally don't know SLQ's very well but I do know St.'s and this was my reasoning for this grade and the reason I won.
    clackamas- way to go! I guess I did not do as good as I hoped. image mike
    Well mike, there will be another one in a few weeks, maybe you'll do better! The next one will be on classic 19th century designs. Copper is a good idea clackamas, but unfortunately the only certified copper I own are small cents.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file