Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you could, would you?

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
1880 Shield nickel, PCGS PR65 CAM : for sale by Heritage for $645. It got their "JH Exceptional" rating.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I haven't figured out how much premium the CAM rating brings on late 1800s proofs. The cameo appears nice, but I'm not fond of the hazy patches on the obverse and reverse.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    I don't want to be too hard on a 120 year old coin image, but... I don't like the hazy rough areas. If you're looking for a type set I think you could get better eye appeal for the dough.
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    Shield Nickels are hard to evaluate by scan. There appears to be noise on the fields on both the obverse and rev. Can't tell how much hairlines underneath. The Shields are increasing in value.
    Trime
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    supercoin, can't you let ONE DAY go by without bashing classic coins?! image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Thanks. I couldn't see the haze. Maybe I'm blind, or maybe it's this monitor. As to the premium for Cameos, I dunno, but to me it's worth some premium for sure. That price is $5 less than the PCGS trend price for a non-Cameo PR65, but I guess nobody uses the PCGS price guide in the real world. What says the Greysheet, even for a non-CAM?

I'll have another look.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    OK, I saw the haze. I hadn't zoomed in before, and took it for a reflection, I guess. I'm not at all fond of that, either. Good job. Thanks.

I am not really working on a formal type set any more. But I would like to have a few exceptional coins in the $650-1,500 range (both US and World coins). First I need to sell off my swapping stock, I guess. I've just been window shopping. Ever since the purchase of my icon coin, I have found 19th century proofs very appealing, especially in CAM.

This one knocked my eyes out.. Not that I would expect it to slab at 64 (one wonders why it is being sold raw- or is it?). Still, that is a pretty thing.

• Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    Shiroh, classic bashing? I own one of these. image

But, I could be convinced to sell. It's approaching that 120 year mark, getting too class-icky. image
  • Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have noticed several "ancient" threads being resurrected, so I went back to the oldest surviving post on these boards.

Do I win a prize or something? :D

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭✭

I have a sharks tooth given to me by lordmarcovan himself that I just noticed the other day.

• Options
    dsessomdsessom Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

@goodmoney4badmoney said:
    I have a sharks tooth given to me by lordmarcovan himself that I just noticed the other day.

He is a good guy. I am glad to see he is still posting here.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty cool.. any time LM posts a new thread, he momentarily owns the oldest newest threads on the board
    👍

Here's my most recent acquisition from his lordship

• Options

Wow, this really was an ancient thread, wasn’t it?

A while back, there was a resurrection of the comments we were all posting on 9/11, as it was happening. That was kind of interesting to revisit. I wonder if that could be dug back up now. I’m not so savvy with the search feature on this post-2016 platform.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file