Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions, please. Should I buy this book?

Shoul I purchase Photograde: A Photographic Grading Encyclopedia for United States Coins by James F. Ruddy??

I'm ordering The Official American Numismatic Association Grading Standards for United States Coins as someone suggested, but was wondering if this would be useful as I wade through my dad's coins and figure out just exactly what I have. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    i have it and use it frequently.
    its a little blue book, right?
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    I have one, and it makes grading circulated coins really easy.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's good to use both together.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Photograde was a giant stride forward in the grading of circulated coins when it was introduced about 1970. Photographs of coins in various grades takes some of the mystery out of grading for the novice collector. I know that it has been updated over the years, and probably uses standards that are very close to ANA 's. It won't be of any help if your dad had a lot of uncirculated or proof coins, though.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    I haven't seen the coins in a while, since before I knew diddly-squat about coins. (Now I know a fraction more than that!)....but I'm visiting the coins next week. I do remember a lot were in cardboard holders with "MS-60+" written on them.
  • Options
    The photograde book is a bit outdated, but I think it still has a good coverage of coin grades. The ANA book is a good one. However, many graders feel that book is also a bit outdated as well. The book tends to provide a more general and technical grading description of US coins. In the case of Morgan dollars, each year and mint marks varied a great deal in certain cases, so the general description of the ANA book did not completely describe the series very well.
    Recommended reading - The PCGS Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection and The Coin Collector's Survival Manual and NCI Grading Guide
    For the Morgan collectors - The Morgan and Peace encyclopedia by Van Allen and Mallis

What would your slabbed coins be worth if the grading services went out of business? What would your coins be worth if the Internet was taken offline for good?
  • Options
    Rob0126Rob0126 Posts: 142
    I bought the ANA book. It has helped me as a newbee, but does lean towards circulated coins, vs mint/proof.

However, I did find useful info about grading proofs/ms in a technical since. That goes to a good point I want to make:

Does PCGS throw the book out on tech. grading all together?

I have a MS68 1999-D Penny here, that looks more like a MS-65 because of a nick on a Number in the date; spotting on the bottom rim, on it's inner part; and an almost noticeable micro nick that beleive it or not, can show up if the light hits it just right.

Phew...With that said, the ANA book is a good thing for $10. image

Robert
    You want fries with that?
  • Options
    StratStrat Posts: 612 ✭✭✭
    Yes, you should buy that book. If you're going to learn about coins, even for just awhile, you need to learn how to grade. It's an inexpensive book, and should be a big help. If by any chance, you further involvement in coins, Mr. Gemseeker's signature line lists two excellent books you should also buy (the PCGS grading guide, if you can find one and the Coin Collector's Survival Manual).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file