Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grading help from you jeff collectors!

DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
This Jeff struck me as worthy of submission, and I thought I'd ask for a few expert opinions since I'm new to the series. Your opinions are welcome and helpful.image

73-P Jeff Obverse #1
73-P Jeff Reverse #1
73-P Steps #1

I have two of these and a 79-D that are all almost identical. Is this the right look and strike to collect?
Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

Comments

• Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Overall, a decent coin ... one tick on the cheek (and perhaps the hair) on the obverse and a few light contact marks in the fields on the reverse and very nice full steps. An admirable circulation piece. A mint set coin?
  • Options
    Thanks RGL, and yes it is. I pulled it from a batch of 73 sets because it was relatively mark free. Boy the nickels seem to get beat up.
  • Options
    Don:

Nice coin. It is hard to tell from the scan how deep the nicks on the cheek and hair are? My guess MS65FS+. The PCGS pop report in MS65FS has 54 in grade with 32 in MS66Fs and 2 in MS67FS. A MS65FS maybe worth $15 - 20 while the MS66FS $30 - 40.

Hope this helps.
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)
  • Options
    That's a great help, and thank you! I'm just starting the series, and will build raw until get proficient at grading them.
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Don: I don't know if you follow Jeffs, but Frank is Mr. Jeff. I was sweating venturing an opinion fearing he might come along behind me and disagree! Put stock in his opinion on any Jeff. No. 1 in circ strikes and No. 2 in proofs!
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Don
    I agree with Frank, very nice coin. The two nicks look distracting and are in the main focal area. MS64 is how I would grade it. But then again, that's my personal view. I just don't like marks in the focal areas of the coins I collect. If I have a coin in my collection with a nick on the cheek, fields or steps, then my whole collection has a nick in it.

I've included some nickels from my collection. The 1939 type one has a short nick in the hair that runs from 1:00 to 7:00 keeping this coin from grading MS67 by ANACS. The 1981-P is also a MS66 and the 1953-S, in my opinion, grades MS66. Neither has any marks to speak of but that's the way they were graded.
    Nonetheless, I'm very happy with them no matter how someone else may view them.
    I do like the strike, steps and if your coin is brilliant and lustrous with a tinge of gold toning as I'm perceiving from the pic. I do like those aspects of your coin. In your quest to collect these FS nickels, locate them in the earliest die state (EDS) as possible. As you do this, you will notice how each date
    takes on it's own distinguishable characteristics as you can tell in the 1938 EDS strike.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    MS66FS
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the coin's in the top 1%ile. Should go MS-65 FS. This is one
    of the few modern nickels that comes nice in rolls.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Thank you all for so much good information. It gives me a good feeling for what is expected from these coins. I'm sure it will be a challenging series.
  • Options
    ...luv, luv, luv the 53-S, FSimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file