Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Small/Large Date Lincoln help!

I have a roll of 1970-s lincoln's and cant remember how to tell between large and small dates.Does anyone know or know of a website with pictures on how to tell the difference? Cant find my coin book and it's driving me nuts.Thanks

Pennies make dollars, and dollars make slabs!

....inflation must be kicking in again this dollar says spend by Dec. 31 2004!

Erik

Comments

• Options
    dakradakra Posts: 513
    According to the red book, the small date has a high 7 and the large date has a low 7.
    Looking at the picture on the small date, the 7 is even or slightly above the 0 and on the large date it is a little bit lower than the 0.

-David
  • Options
    The top of the 7 is almost even with the 0,but the bott of the 7 drops slightly below the 0.So i'm thinking its a large date? Also the one I picked up to look at with a loupe appears to have doubling on the s and the 0 and 9.Thanks for the help.

Pennies make dollars, and dollars make slabs!

....inflation must be kicking in again this dollar says spend by Dec. 31 2004!

Erik
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    never mind
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if the upper loop in the 9 points down it's a large date, if the upper loop points to the right it's a small date.
  • Options
    MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    These should be worth a 1000 words.

1970-S Small Date
    1970-S Large date
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another diagnostic of the small date is that the letters in LIBERTY are very mushy; they're much more sharply defined on the large date.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    This is a good thread and should be included in the unofficial FAQ.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file