Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

The best card to get a 9 with in 1971 Topps!

Despite an abysmal percentage of 9's in the 1971 Topps Pop Report (less than 2% of all graded), card number 161, the Coin Checklist, has ten 9's out of only 108 submissions, or just over 9% of all graded #161s.

Why this card? And how?

Comments

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    The Pete Rose - without a doubt!!!!

if anyone has a PSA 8 available - let me know!
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    I'd say the Munson or the Rose. As the Munson does not exist in a 9, I'll go with the Rose. The only example reportedly sold for 19K
    THE FLOGGINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    That Munson card is a great looking card. I love the horizontal action cards. That's one reason why the 1973 set still hold a spot "near and dear" in my heart from when I was a 12 year old card collector.
  • Options
    Jrinck,

I bought a HUGE collection of checklist cards from 65-72 - like 800 of EVERY checklist right from vending. That's where a number of the PSA 10 '72 Checklists came from, as well as the Coin Checklist PSA 9s...I had a LOT to choose from...
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Sol:

That answers a big question! I was always surprised at the huge numbers of high-grade 1960s and 1970s checklists out there -- I always thought that those were the classic throw-away cards....

MS
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Fascinating!

Sol's response answers that mystery
  • Options
    crazysccrazysc Posts: 291
    I remember getting $150-250 for some of the 72T Checklists - how do you think that compares to today's market? I think I paid like 10% of guide for the whole deal (though remember, it was like $10,000 for a few monster boxes of CHECKLISTS!) - basically pulled some of the cream, and sold the lot at what I paid...
    Why do I get the feeling, that some cards are worth money, while others are not?
  • Options
    TheCARDKidTheCARDKid Posts: 1,496
    Any idea on what a Munson 9 would sell for? What about a Jackson?
  • Options
    Jrinck-

If my memory serves me right, I think check lists sometimes show up more often on a sheet. Something along the line of having 132 cards in a series leaves you with a couple of extra spaces. So instead of repeating a card that already has two on the sheet they add a couple of more checklists. Also, with all this multiple and divisibility having to work out with all rows and columns the short prints come about. Where one single of a particular card would have to show up on a sheet to make the math work out.

Great, not remembering how row and columns are on a sheet I’m probably going to spend most of my time at work tomorrow trying to figure this out.

But, as far as the best 9, it would have to be the Munson. Toughest, probably the Jim Brewer.
  • Options
    CardKid

There is only one Jackson in a 9. It will not see the light of day until I "fix" the brakes on the car of the current owner.

Fair assumption kmas? image
  • Options
    Well, 2 of my favorite players (Tony Perez and Joe Morgan) don't have any 9's graded yet in the '71 set, and there's only one 9 each of Bench and Rose. I definitely wouldn't turn any any of these 4 cards, should I ever come across a 9!
  • Options
    jrinckjrinck Posts: 1,321 ✭✭
    So, Solomon, it's you! Congrats.

As for sheet location, does anyone have any photos of the uncut sheets?

I received snapshots of the two series 1 sheets which show the series 1 checklist in the bottom corner. That's card #54, though, not the coin checklist (#161 in series 2) that Solomon has all the 9's for.

I'll be happy to send anyone copies of the sheet by email, just shoot me an email first. And again, if anyone has any uncut sheet image files for '71, I'd love to see them.
  • Options
    Better make it soon. The Jax’s on lease the car's not. My pipe dream of the Munson and Brewer are superseded by the Mays, Clemente, and Baylor/Backer RC. The Clemente would be the icing. Only seen one that was a keeper.
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Sounds like I should sell my Munson PSA 9 rookie card...
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    theBobstheBobs Posts: 1,136 ✭✭
    Oops, my Munson 9 is PRO, not PSA. Same difference right?
    Where have you gone Dave Vargha
    CU turns its lonely eyes to you
    What's the you say, Mrs Robinson
    Vargha bucks have left and gone away?

hey hey hey
    hey hey hey
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Yes. And with the use of sharper instruments, it can be a PRO 10 next time!