Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What would you do with this coin?

I got this coin out of the 2002 silver proof set, and would like to honestly know what to do with it. It has doubling on lettering strongest on quarter and dollar and the mint mark. I would really like the opinions of the more experienced collectors than myself. thanks Rick here

Comments

• Options
    darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    rikker- you must have a problem with your picture as I don't see one when I click on your link. mike
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Nice,, I hope I get one like that. That may or may not answer your question.image
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    Works for me.
    I would hang on to it.

• Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    rikker, that sure looks like doubling from a die, not the machine doubling...I think you've got something there. Based on the pictures, it looks like Class 1 rotated hub doubling. There looks to be fully seperated serifs and the secondary image looks rounded, these are all good signs of real doubled die coinage. If I were you, I would pick out a show where ANACS will be at. They give free opinions, and I always takes possible error coins to them and get there opinion...but if I had to bet from your pictures I would say the coin looks like a winner. Have that sucker attributed quickly before someone else finds it.

Which quarter is it on by the way?

morris <><
    "Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
    ** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
    Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
    28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
    TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like some very deceptive machine doubling to me. Were it a true doubled die, I would expect to see doubling on the designer's initials also. Doubled dies are supposed to be impossible since 1998 due to the "singe hubbing" proceedure now practiced all Mints.
  • Options
    Thanks for the responses, mnmcoin said I should get it attributed. How do I do something like that? Also any one know when there are any coin shows near milwaukee? It is on the Indiana Quarter. Thanks again Rick One more? Why did he say get it attributed before someone else does, what would the difference be?
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    Rikker: One way is to formally submit it to ANACS for certification, attribution and slabbing. (Other grading services are good, too, but ANACS is tops in errors.) Another way is to send it to J.T. Stanton: I think I recall reading in the Cherrypicker's Guide that, for a small fee, he will take a look at it and tell you what you've got.

Don't have my Guide here: folks, is this right?

I think the suggestion to do it before anyone else does is so that you can be the "discoverer" of the error, and maybe get credit as such in a new edition of Cherrypicker's Guide. It is a "prestige thing" to be the person who discovered a variety or error.
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,124 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not my area but, some thoughts. The scan shows some hook at the ends of the doubling. Can't tell if the doubling is rounded. Are proofs still struck twice? If so could the coin have moved in the collar and what would you call that type of doubling? I'm just guessing. We need DOG to join in. You might wait to mess the set.
    Larry

• Options
    Hi, I e mailed one of the attributers at coneca and asked permission to send the coin in. Here was his response. " Rick:
    I indeed adminster an attribution program for CONECA. See our web site at www.conecaonline.org Club members send 20th century US coins to me for attribution. I check them against the club files and assign the appropriate variety identification. If new I take photos for the club files and insue a registration certificate. The attribution fee is $2.50 per coin plus return P&I ($5.00 per package).

Doubled dies are not possible on US coins after 1997, because the mint changed the process by which they make dies. The doubling on your 2002 quarter is mostly the result of die deterioration/abrasion.

Yes, I will attribute varieties that are in slabs including ANACS.

Thanks,

James Wiles
    CONECA 20th Century Die Variety Attributer" So I sent the coin to ANACS today I hope they see something. image
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Wiles is correct. It is common machine doubling but it is still really neat.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Thanks Dog97, So I guess I just wasted my money sending it to ANACS. Is there no value to it?
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    No prem. Sorry.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    It is neat, but not particularly rare as Machine doubling can be found on just about every denomination minted. I would hold on to it as it's certainly not your average coin. Enjoy!
  • Options
    I checked both of my 2002 proof sets and both have the same doubling on the Indiana quarter described above.
    Has anyone else checked theirs yet?

I found the doubling on my SILVER proof sets, not the clad ones.

Andy

We are finite beings, limited in all our powers, and, hence, our conclusions are not only relative, but they should ever be held subject to correction. Positive assurance is unattainable. The dogmatist is the only one who claims to possess absolute certainty.

First POTD 9/19/05!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file