Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

pvc flips

accoording to pcgs telephone conversation today if you order flips from pcgs you must specify non pvc flips. by default they will ship pvc flips. the young lady said they do not recommend pvc flips for proof coins. being new to this sport, my first submission was in the free pvc flips that they sent me with the membership package. . .if pvc is detrimental to proof coins, why would they stock and sell pvc flips? i had ordered earlier this week 100 flips, so i asked what would be shipped, she looked it up and said pvc. can i change that? yes of course because it hasnt shipped yet. but WHY DO THEY HAVE THEM ANYWAY?

Comments

• Options
    I guess that PVC flips can be used on non-proof coins for a short duration such as to send a coin for grading or to a buyer. Probably the surface of proof coins are more susceptible to the PVC reactivity that is why they are not recommended. They probably ship it as default because most coins sent to them are not in proof condition.
    Recommended reading - The PCGS Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection and The Coin Collector's Survival Manual and NCI Grading Guide
    For the Morgan collectors - The Morgan and Peace encyclopedia by Van Allen and Mallis

What would your slabbed coins be worth if the grading services went out of business? What would your coins be worth if the Internet was taken offline for good?
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    When I ordered flips from them, they sent me saflips. Did they give you flexible ones? My membership package had saflips, too.
  • Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    I have no idea why they're still stocking PVC flips -- the ones they use (or used to) in particular are the worst I've ever encountered. Practically kill you with that "new shower curtain" smell when you open them up, and would haze a clad proof within just a couple days.

Not to mention that I received shipments of them thrown them in loose in a cardboard box with a bunch of foam peanuts and other supplies!

I exclusively use E&T Kointainer brand SAFLIPs, the 2.5" size. You can get them at major coin supply stores or online. Make sure you get E&T brand, rather than just generic "safe flips".
  • Options
    jtrykajtryka Posts: 797
    I am convinced that these flips are responsible for the haze that grows on clad proofs when sent to PCGS for grading. That happened to me last time, and this time I put the proofs in smaller saflips and then in their poison flips. We'll see if this cuts down on the problems.
  • Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    Aagh! Use SAFLIPs only!! image

That's what I do, and unless you've got a bigger heavier proof coin than an Ike, it should work well for you too.

I tried the SAFLIP in the shower-curtain approach too, back when PCGS was squawkin' about me using SAFLIPs. It helped some, but still had problems.
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I got SAFLIPS from PCGS in my membership kit, and I ordered SAFLIPS from kelgory.com (yes, E&T 2.5" (crown size) SAFLIPS)

I believe the reason PCGS uses the PVC flips is because they're less likely to damage a coin upon insertion/removal. Besides, PCGS says you should also use the coin sleeves with the flips, thus the coins wouldn't come in contact with the PVC.

Still, it does seem fishy that they send out PVC flips and then bodybag coins for PVC damage. Maybe it's a PCGS conspiracy! image
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    I hate government intervention, but

PVC should be OUTLAWED!!!!!

It's extremely irritating that they exist, as the whole purpose of coin collecting is to PRESERVE the coins for future generations. It's our worst nightmare to have our coins destroyed!

imageimageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Seems like some of us got saflips from pcgs and some did not. Is there a reason for this discrepancy? When I got my flip package from pcgs, it was clear on the label that these were kointainer saflips with the nice, comforting word "inert" right on the label.

Neil
  • Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thought I'd just check out something from the last page of our Forum. Page 5546.....16 years ago. I don't recognize any of these members....does PCGS still sell flips? Do you have "haze" on your coins from flips? Interesting and historical.

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

PVC flips are fine for short term storage. Because they are soft and flexible they can be less harmful when shipping. Coins get jostled and mylar flips with irritants can cause slight hairlines.

I toss PVC flips immediately. But I admit hating crisp, stiff mylar flips.
    Lance.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

And the rubber band they use to strap them together should be banned. The sulfur from them goes right through porous plastics - including slabs. Don't ever store your slabs wrapped in elastic bands.

thefinn
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just seems wrong that our host even has pvc anything in the same building with valuable coins. You know they are offgassing all the time. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting old thread :smile:

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file