Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Okay, which one do you think is the DCAM and why?

Okay, come one come all...guess the dcam and give your opinions why. And be honest, no trying to guess my agenda here, just want the truth.

Ah, so thats how you do it...

I will post the answer when I am darn good and ready...jk...I will post probably tomorrow or you can pm me if you want the answer...just don't spoil it for the rest.

morris <><

"Repent, for the kindom of heaven is at hand."
** I would take a shack on the Rock over a castle in the sand !! **
Don't take life so seriously...nobody gets out alive.

ALL VALLEY COIN AND JEWELRY
28480 B OLD TOWN FRONT ST
TEMECULA, CA 92590
(951) 757-0334

www.allvalleycoinandjewelry.com

Comments

• Options
    The right one? Looks to have more contrast. (my disclaimer: I'm better with copper) image

Rich
  • Options
    Not being familiar with the series I would say the one on the right because the devices look to be of a more sharper contrast to the fields.
    Recommended reading - The PCGS Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection and The Coin Collector's Survival Manual and NCI Grading Guide
    For the Morgan collectors - The Morgan and Peace encyclopedia by Van Allen and Mallis

What would your slabbed coins be worth if the grading services went out of business? What would your coins be worth if the Internet was taken offline for good?
  • Options
    BNEBNE Posts: 772
    The one on the right looks much deeper. (But I am guessing the "real" (PCGS) answer differs.)image
    "The essence of sleight of hand is distraction and misdirection. If smoeone can be convinced that he has, through his own perspicacity, divined your hidden purposes, he will not look further."

William S. Burroughs, Cities of the Red Night
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hard to tell from scans. Both appear to have some breaks in the cameo, but I'll jump to the conclusion that it's the left one.

Russ, what's your opinion?
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    I will guess neither, they both look cam to me.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Assuming that one was actually granted the DCAM designation, and this is not a trick question, I would guess the one on the right. Although it does appear to have a minor frost break in the sideburn area on the obverse, it is far less so then the breaks on the left piece in both the hair and the cheek.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    If one is CAM and the other is DCAM,I,d go with the CAM on the left,DCAM on the right.
    The devices on the coin on the right seem very frosty compared to the left.Maybe they could both be DCAM.
    I,m no expert but thats how I see it.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    The one on the left is dcam, because the cameo is heavier and more even on the reverse, and is much better on the shield,banner and wings than the one on the right. Although the obverse must be adequate to dcam, the reverse is where most people fail to discriminate. We all see a frosty head and assume that makes up for a weak reverse. Also, the obverse on the left has a much more uniform look. That's just my humble opinion. BTW - I'd rinse the one on the right to get rid of the dip residue at the base of the reverse. Morris, is the coin on the left for sale?image
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    mnmcoinmnmcoin Posts: 2,165
    Hey Russ, I totally understand your other post now...when I look at the pictures of mine, they both look like they have frost breaks, but when I look at the actual coins, there are zero frostbreaks, I guess it is just the shadowing from light or camera or something.

morris <><

TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

• Options
    byergobyergo Posts: 586
    DCAM on the right. It's frosty as hell!
    Buy/Sell/Trade Rainbow Morgans
  • Options
    The right looks like the DCAM,the left looks like it has a slight haze around the rim and the letters on the reverse.Unless the lighting is causing that.

Pennies make dollars, and dollars make slabs!

....inflation must be kicking in again this dollar says spend by Dec. 31 2004!

Erik
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    Left - Cameo Right - DC There is a subtle look to the coin on the right that seems to just make a DC, while the one on the left by an equally small margin just misses. The net difference between both coins as to frost on devices is very, very slight. Bear
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    I am reversing my earlier post. The left coin is in a DCAM holder, specifically PR68DCAM. The right coin is in a CAM holder, specifically a PR68CAM. They probably shouldn't be, but they are.

BTW, yes, I cheated.image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    Ok, how about this...

The one on the left was graded DCAM. You cracked it out and dipped it to get rid of those obverse spots, and when you sent it back it in only garnered a CAM.

That could be because you dulled the mirrors with the dipping (can't tell from the photo), or more likely just the usual variance in grading, particularly when some time has elapsed between submissions.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Morris,

Don't know how many people caught this in Kranky's comments from the ANA seminar, but I thought it might be of interest to you if you're considering resubmitting. Maybe this explains why crackouts are better.

One instructor mentioned that when coins are sent to PCGS for a regrade, the coin is entered into the system with the slabbed grade already entered as the first (of three) grades assigned. That means that both of the other two graders have to agree it's undergraded in order to get it bumped up. This is not done at shows, only when mailed in.

I can only assume the same applies to cam designations.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    FlashFlash Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭
    They are both DCAM.
    Matt
  • Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    If at least one is DCAM, I would have to go with the right. The frost is weak on the left '64 in a bunch of areas.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    They both look DCAM to me. The Left is more even and has better frost on the reverse. I was thinking Leftie might have the faintest touch of gold tone which might make the frost appear less frosty in a scan. So I agree totally with DHeath. If one is DCAM and the other Cam than Left is DCAM.

But I differ on Don's offer. I'll ask if the Cam on the right is for sale? image
  • Options
    The one on the right. The one on the left has a hollow appearance to it.
  • Options
    prooflikeprooflike Posts: 3,879 ✭✭
    The mirrors on the right one are better than the left, but the frost on the right one's reverse is weak, so I will go with the left.

• Options
    MNM - ALRIGHT ITS TIME TO FESS UP, WHICH COIN IF ANY IS THE DC.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Why are you guys still guessing? I gave you the correct answer in my second post.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    We thought you were just kidding Russ.
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Bear,

Nope, it's the answer. But, as I said, I cheated.image I know where he bought the one on the left because he snatched it away from me!image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    RUSS - So now im on record as making a wrong choice. Im so embarrassed, how will I ever hold my head up again if I cant tell a Cameo from a DC. Maybe I will give up coins and invest in the stock market, where it is easier to make money. image
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    Actually non of them are even designated cams, can you believe that, that is how tough PCGS is grading right now. They both look dcam to me be oh well.

jk...lol...Russ did in fact spill the beans, even though I said not to...Russ, I am cutting you off. I am only sending you NGC quality Kennedy cams, no more pq cream for you. jk

yes the one on the left is the dcam, it is in an older blue holder. When I take pictures later in the day, they get a little shadowy so it looks as if both coins have frost fades or breaks, but suffice it to say they both have zero fade. Just pick out the whitest part of the device and they pretty much are consistant with that level of whiteness. PCGS said that the left one's central devices were clearly dcam, but the lettering was not, I can understand what they are saying, but the letters on the one in the dcam holder are just about the same or less than the one in the cam holder so I don't understand that argument completely.

oh, well what can I do. I am not complaining or anything, just ranting I guess, thats how it goes, I have excepted that, and have no beef with PCGS, they sure are way more consistant and marketable than the also rans...at least on moderns anyway.

thank you for all participating...if you send me your address you will all receive a 1933 $20 Saint.

morris <><

TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

• Options
    Morris,

I didn't spill the beans until very late in the game, and I even helped set it up with my first post. Now, can I have cream again?image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    PS: Bear, you didn't make a wrong choice, PCGS did. Frankly, I'll trust your judgement any day.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Russ, uuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmm okay!

morris <><

TEMECULA, CA 92590
    (951) 757-0334

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file