Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Beware of Heritage 1909 MS65RD Lincoln - Description Corrected

Lot # 11035 for a 1909 MS65RD Lincoln in a PCGS slab #90009471 is NOT a 1909 Lincoln but in fact it's cheaper cousin, the 1909 VDB.

I'm not sure why Heritage is doing this. I won this coin in their 25 June EIA. Upon receipt, I noticed the error and contacted Heritage and requesting a full refund without restocking fees and the whole nine yards since they advertised and sold the wrong item. They were gracious and I sent it back and received a full refund.

I'm glancing over the new EIA for the week and the same coin in the same holder is back up for auction! No correction, no warning, no truth in advertising! I sent them an e-mail earlier today when I saw the coin again but no response.

If any of you bid on this Lincoln, you now know what you are getting in to. A simple PCGS error and it may be neat to own (this was actually my second find of a VDB in a 1909 slab) but it's not my bag. Good luck, Dave

Comments

• Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Dave,

I appreciate the heads-up. I had that coin and the lot before it on my tracking list.
    I really do want the 09 P in MS66 Red but they are hard to come by. Thought I just might settle for the 65.
    I would have been PO'ed if I had decided to bid on that coin and gotten it only to discover what you did.
    Thanks again.

-----------

etexmike
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    The VDB is visible in the large scan!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    dldallendldallen Posts: 359 ✭✭
    If only it would have had an "S" on the obverse image ! (Of course then this thread would have never happened image ) Oh well, as long as I can keep at least one person from falling for this, it was worth it. Anybody remember that Heritage honcho that shows up every now and then here? Maybe drop him a line since the staff doesn't seem to care. Dave
  • Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭
    Dave,

I know that Heritage has been a little busy the last week or two. But to make the same mistake with the same coin twice is a bit much.

I don't always enlarge the scan on their web site but may start from now on.

-----------

etexmike
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭
    What's with Heritage anyway? How many of you got that email a while back that said if you start or up date you want list they will send you a free Red Book? I'm still waiting. Then there's that issue with the sales tax. They automatically put the Texas rate on the invoice. They will change it if you call them. I really shouldn't have to do that though. You would think a reputable business would be a little more responsible.
    I'm done bashing them. Now for the good stuff. I have been pleased with every coin that I have purchased from them. I have even sold some on ebay and made a little profit. I just wish they would get the little things right. Guess you can't have everything.image

Dennis
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    PlacidPlacid Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭
    They still haven't contacted me for a lot I won on monday's auction thru eBay. eBay rules say three business day's to make contact so I guess if they fail to do it thursday I am free not to pay.
  • Options
    dldallendldallen Posts: 359 ✭✭
    Heritage contacted me today and notified that they did change the description to reflect that it was a 1909 VDB in a 1909 slab.

Works for me but not sure if that really solves the problem. Leaving it as is allows for future selling and trading as a misrepresented coin and also affects pops. I finally have my 1909 so at least I won't be shopping for one any time soon. When it comes time to upgrade though, you can bet I'll be watching real close! Take care, Dave
  • Options
    I also have a MS 65 RED 09 VDB in a PCGS 1909 slab.

It is one of the reasons I won't send coins to PCGS.

They graciously agreed to correct THEIR error if I paid shipping both ways.image
    History always repeats itself. Humans are slow learners.
  • Options
    Why doesn't the "PCGS guarantee" cover this? While the coin's condition may not be misgraded, the coin is, nonetheless, misgraded.image I'm tempted to buy the coin just to fight it out with them.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

1st post resurrected

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Musky1011 said:
    1st post resurrected

Why?

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the purpose of bring back the 1st post after 18 years?

Courtesy would dictate you have something extremely germaine to this topic that ties directly to this specific item.

Your comments, please?

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Musky1011 said:
    1st post resurrected

:D

Got me..I wanted to get a Redbook.

• Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

I had a few too many

Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

🍻

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file