Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia
Options

Derrick. I have a question 'bout the Braves...

Why did they wear their former uniforms for a long time?? Just wondering cause teams usually don't wear em for that long.

Comments

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Posts: 4,287 ✭✭
    I actually have no idea why they wore those vintage jersey's for so long. I remember them saying something about it had to do with Hank Aaron and honoring his 715th career homerun, because he wore the exact same uniform when he hit that #715 back in 1974. Hank also has a charity that's running strong in the process so I guess the Braves decided to wear those uniforms for a couple of series's to honor Hammerin' Hank! image

By the way, here's some worthless trivia...Did you know that the Braves were 7-2 while wearing those vintage 1974 uniforms? lol...Just thought I'd bring that out since we were on that issue. image
  • Options
    LOL. Oh. OK. Ya, my dad saw Hank play when he use to play here in Milwaukee. It would have been great to watch him.

But, when I played at the little leauge field infront of Miller Park (Helfaer Field) I found out that they had used the same home plate from County Stadium at Helfaer Field. So when I scored a run I stepped on the same plate as Hank.image
  • Options
    lol, yeah, that's awesome. Everyone always seem to remember Hank Aaron as just a homerun hitter. He's a very underrated player, or "was"...Look at some of his stats. He was actually a very clutch hitter and hit .350+ a few times...not to mention he was an outstanding outfielder. My Dad was actually at that game back in 1974 and was sitting right behind home plate when Hank hit #715...and he was around my age...20.

Another thing, you have to admit that those 1974 vintage Braves jersey's are TIGHT! image
  • Options
    LOL. That is awsome for your dad. Yup...they are much better looking than some present team uniforms. Ya, my dad wlays talks about Hank being an all-around player too.

While we are on the subject of all-around players..... (I am talking about outfielding here) Did you know that when Willie Mays made "the catch" he thought that his throw to keep the guy from going to third was better than his catch???
  • Options
    No. I didn't know that. But, I don't understand why so many people think that the over the shoulder catch was the "greatest catch of all-time"! That's NOT the greatest catch of all-time. Ok, so back then, players didn't make catches like that and he was a tremendous CF...BUT that was probably the best catch of that time...but saying it's the greatest catch of all-time is just plain out pathetic. I've seen Andruw Jones make MUCH better catches than that catch by Mays. Many people say that AJ is the greatest CF of all-time, including Bobby Cox who says he's better than Mays...and Cox has seen his share of CF's and many other players and coaches would echo that.
  • Options
    I think it is pretty cool when you can say you haqve played somewhere that Legends and Heroes have played. I had the fortune to play 2 high-school baseball games in Coopertown at the Hall of Fame park.
    Looking for ANDY MCDONALD CARDS!!

REFS: NatAker, Deshields17, Caricon, NASH,Baird34, 4sportcollector, Viking, coachvinny,naturalbrntrader,playr050, Jrccrum, epage64, euphoria18, Bobstar, Remster, CARDJUNKIE3, Oasurfer
  • Options
    Speaking of...Braves just won 9-1...image