Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Speculation: What would a 1964-D Peace dollar be worth?

CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
There have been rumors for years about the existence of a 1964-D Peace dollar. It's a fact that the Denver Mint struck 316,000 of them in May, 1965. Supposedly all were melted. The Secret Service would undoubtedly confiscate any that came to light, but suppose they were legal, and just one existed. Would it fetch anywhere near the $7.59 million ($6.6 million plus "juice") that the 1933 Saint just received? Consider that there are more people who collect Peace dollars by date and mint than Saints, but also remember that anyone who might have a complete set of Saints is more likely to be able to afford multi-million dollar coins.

Jim
Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!

Comments

• Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    I would guess about $2 million. And, I might prefer it to the Saint although it would be a close call.

Greg
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,106 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it received the same press as the 1933 Saint I'd say upwards of 3 million. If, on the otherhand it didn't and was quietly offered, I'd speculate less than half of that.
    Much of the "value" of any of these "one hit wonders" is the visibility of the coin and also the buyer.

peacockcoins

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Interesting question. IF there was just one declared legal, I'd guess about $1 million. One of the things about the 1933 Saint that makes it so desirable is that for years coin reference books said "Illegal to own". The 1964-D Peace dollar just doesn't have that mystique.

Plus it's a modern. image

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    I would pay whatever I could afford for a 64-D peace dollar. image

The has a very intriguing mystique to me. Every now and then
    the question of 64 Peace dollars is brought up and someone
    will usually hint that they know someone who knows someone
    who has seen one.

I think it would go for a couple million.

-KHayse
  • Options
    misterRmisterR Posts: 2,305 ✭✭
    I would guess in the 2 to 4 million range.
  • Options
    "Plus its a modern"
    Intelligent answer until you ended it with the above!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    gmarguligmarguli Posts: 2,226 ✭✭
    It's a fact that the Denver Mint struck 316,000 of them in May, 1965.

It's a fact? There is a lot of talk that maybe the coins were never even minted and the bookkeeping was done after the fact.

Besides, prove the coin is legit. It's not like you could compare the 1964-D $ to othe coins to make sure it was real. Anyone could mint one and you couldn't guarantee that it was real.

I'd guess $2-$3 million.
  • Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    I've heard of reports where some dealers have actually saw and handled them. I'm not quite sure if I believe it, though.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    zero
    as you cant legally own one or sell it openly or publically ......................... now as a cash offer behind the scenes whatever you can sell it for to a buyer (hopefully not an undercover federal agent like with the 33 saint) that will not squeal on you or cause the coin to be found out by the feds then you are dragged down
    and if you tell anyone even innocently it always seems to come up to light as it is only human nature so i guess to me again it has a zero value as if you had one the only real way to keep it totally safe is to tell no one..........................show no one sell to no one that way you are totally safe yet have a valueless coin

now in the up and coming future i bet it will become legal to own tomorrow? 10 years 100 years? only time will tell but it will eventuaLLY BE LEGAL TO OWN when is the big question though

sincerely michael

• Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greg,

You say It's a fact? There is a lot of talk that maybe the coins were never even minted and the bookkeeping was done after the fact.

It seems that "talk" was primarily from government officials, and of course we know that they are always completely honest. I live in the Denver area, and former Mint employees of 1965 have corroborated the stories that the coins were actually minted. I did a search on Yahoo, and was surprised at the number of web pages that mention the 1964 Peace dollar. Here is a link to one the the better ones.

You also ask how such a coin could be proven to be legitimate. Well for starters: weight, and specific gravity (very difficult for counterfeiters to duplicate). Do you have doubts that coins such as the 1870-S half dime and 1873-CC dime (both unique) are genuine just because there are no others to compare them to? I don't see the logic in your reasoning.

At any rate, after doing some more reading on the subject today, I'm even more inclined to believe that the coins exist. Several articles claim that the coins were weighed to be sure that all were accounted for, but that it would have been a simple matter to pull a 1964 and replace it with a common date. There may never be one publicly displayed in our lifetimes, which is a shame, but it will just add to the mystique surrounding them.

On a somewhat related note: Why weren't the 1913 Liberty nickels confiscated when they first became known? Hmmmmm......

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!