Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Which Would You Rather Have - The Saint or the 1804?

If you had your choice, which would you take?

1. The 1933 Saint that was just auctioned for $7.59 Million

2. The 1804 Proof Bust Dollar that was auctioned a few years backs by Bowers and Merena for $4 Million plus change and $1 Million to buy something nice for your wife (like a fleet of Porsches).

It should be obvious, I would take the Bust Dollar even w/o the extra $1million. How about you?

Greg

Comments

• supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    I'll take the $1,000,001. Can I give the coin to my wife instead of the cash? image

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That million will only buy 4 porsches (well the one my friend is getting).

I would rather have a 1913 Liberty Nickel and 6 million image

Edited to add: I did the wife thing once, never make the same mistake twice.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both coins have a lot of history behind them, and are great rarities of classic designs. I don't particularly care for most gold coins (call me weird, it wouldn't be the first timeimage), but there's something to be said for the appeal of having the only 1933 Saint that can legally be privately owned. I'm sure there are other '33 Saints out there, but their owners don't dare reveal their existence. If the Treasury were to become benevolent, and allow ownership of all the 1933 Saints, I'm guessing that they would still be rarer than the 1804 dollars. Besides, the 1933 Saint is a real coin that was intended for circulation, not a clandestinely manufactured "rarity".

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jim,

None of the type 1 1804's were clandestinely manufactured. Would they be worth less if they were the only 1834's?
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭
    Most definitely the 1804.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dbldie,

You're absolutely correct in stating that the Class 1 1804's weren't clandestinely made, just the Class 2 coins were, but they sure weren't made in 1804. You ask what if they had been dated 1834? They'd be just as rare, and probably just as valuable, assuming no circulation strikes were made. Additionally, they'd be considered true coins, not restrikes, or more properly, novodels.

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Baseball:

The point is to raise the issue as to whether the Saint is overvalued. If you would rather have the 1804 (at $4+ million) and the $1 Million (for a total of $5 million) it suggests that the Saint is overvalued at $7.6 million relative to other great rarities. I admit, the wife thing was a bit much.

Greg
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To people with our means, the Saint is overvalued and most of us would take the 1804 plus the cash. I know I would.

To people of the buyer's means, the Saint is probably undervalued and he wouldn't trade it for the world.
  • RELLARELLA Posts: 960 ✭✭✭
    Jim,

Nice use of the term "novodels" in a sentence; I've never seen the word used outside of pre-20th century Russian numismatics before.

As for the question...I am assuming I have to hold the coin and not resell it. I would choose the Saint straight up over the 1804 Dollar. Adding the cash does not help to make this an equivilant choice IMO, and giving said cash to the wife makes the choice easy...who would want their wife to know she lost that much spending money just because you wanted one coin over another? So for your sad scenario I would take the $#&* proof coin.

RELLA
    Do not fall into the error of the artisan
    who boasts of twenty years experience in his craft
    while in fact he has had only one year of experience...
    twenty times.
  • If the money thing was not an issue, that is if both coins cost the same I'd rather have the 1804. I just like the look of a superb proof coin. I prefer the look of the high relief Saint to the '33 so I'd settle for one of those.

Since the money thing will always be an issue I might choose the 1804 AND the 1913 nickel over the '33.

Who knows what a 1804 would bring now? Maybe more than before?
  • DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    As a collector, my choice would be the 1804 dollar. I prefer its design over the Saint, no other reason.

If I had to decide based soley on value, as an investment... I think the '33 Saint. It's got momentum now and could probably sell for a couple million more if it was resold. In 10 years, who knows?

DAM

Dan
  • khaysekhayse Posts: 1,336
    As I said in the other thread, I would much prefer the Saint.

> Additionally, they'd be considered true coins, not restrikes, or more properly, novodels.
    Exactly! The 1804 dollar is not a real coin in my eyes, just some
    interesting government fakery. It would be a completely different
    story if they had the correct date on them and had the same rarity.

-KHayse
  • tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,146 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1804 dollar is not a real coin in my eyes, just some interesting government fakery

Hmmm - how would you classify stamping a piece of metal worth a few cents and declaring it's worth a quarter? Seems to me that most coins are some interesting government fakery!!!
  • DeepCoinDeepCoin Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭
    Let's set aside the issue of extra dollars for taking the 1804 as this is just bias. For virtually all of us either of these coins are out of reach and to an individual with the funds to buy a single coin worth millions of dollars it is not the same issue.

I would prefer to have the St. Gaudens. Two reasons, there are a number of 1804 bust dollars that come on the market every now and then. There is only one 1933 St. Gaudens that can be legally owned by a private party and publicly displayed and recognized. If you don't get this one, you probably will not get another chance for a long time. Also, I prefer the St. Gaudens as it is the most beautiful coin ever produced IMHO and if I could afford the 1933, I could afford the entire set (there are some very pricey coins in this set).
    Retired United States Mint guy, now working on an Everyman Type Set.
  • WhitewashqtrWhitewashqtr Posts: 737 ✭✭✭
    1804 Bust Dollar
    HAVE A GREAT DAY! THE CHOICE IS YOURS!!!!
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    I have to go with the 33 St. Gold is just better looking. The 1804 is a proof and IMO barely a coin since it was not made for coinage's true purpose (legal tender), just as a collectors piece.
  • DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would take the one worth the most (the saint) sell it and buy a whole lot of really nice coins.

Jon
  • I'd take the Saint, but you must realize I'm a modern collector. image
    Michael